Nepal 2012-13

Hi all, a few shots and words from a trip to Nepal spanning November 2012 to January 2013. I spent my first few weeks on an elective placement for uni in a refugee camp for the Bhutanese in Damak, Eastern Nepal, followed by some time spent travelling with my partner in the mountains.

I spent the first few days in Nepal in Kathmandu, the capital. Having never really travelled much outside of Australia, it comes as no surprise that Kathmandu was something of a change for me, to say the least! Had a great time wandering around with my friend who was also coming on elective, exploring, taking photos, and mostly just eating ;)

A young girl sells chillies
tumblr_mdoiu6hocL1qdcaxao1_500.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The view from our hotel
tumblr_mdnsehsCya1qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

Kathmandu was an extremely colourful place!
tumblr_mdrhv8ZFpH1qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mdrhjsISNL1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I don't believe I've seen images from this part of the world here in the Cafe. Thanks for sharing these. The look on the young girls face just looks so sad to me.

Interesting that you haven't seen photos of Nepal, I would have thought they would be a common occurrence, seems a popular place to travel, and I can now understand why :)

A few more from KTM

Seemed to always be finding the rickshaw drivers sleeping
tumblr_mmfh7aUt2Z1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

One of the less crowded streets
tumblr_mmfht0LN671qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

Fruit and veggies were always available by the roadside
tumblr_mmfhwyDZgM1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

A young girl begging for food while cars have stopped at an intersection
tumblr_mmfgxoZPzj1qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

Thank you all for the comments!

^It definitely was colourful! Most sub-continental cultures tend to be very colourful in my experience.

It's funny, the girl selling chillies looks sad, but if I recall, she was actually irritated with someone at the time. Still, it pays to keep the viewer thinking she was upset, more emotional string-pulling and all that ;)

A few from Damak, where I undertook my uni placement:

From the plane on the way over
tumblr_mdtdxdCpQ61qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

We drank so much tea (chiya) while we were there! Much prefer Nepali chiya to western tea though, a lot more sugar and milk ;)
tumblr_mdual5qdV51qdcaxao1_500.jpg

Wandered into a local noodle-making place, pretty cool to see how they do it
tumblr_mdxv7o3JQI1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

Met some of the locals...
tumblr_mdzq2enWeD1qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

Just curious, is there any way one can post images in a way that they are initially hidden, but can then be accessed by clicking on a button within the post? I've seen this feature on another forum ("Spoilers" was the name for the button), and was curious as I had a few photos that I was worried might be disturbing to some people. Nothing really serious, just a little bit of blood, but if not then perhaps might just be best to not post them!

Thanks again for looking guys :)

For FlickR, rather than using the HTML/BB code, go to "grab the link" Be warned though in my past experience here, you will receive less views if you just place a link rather than the actual photo within the link.

You have a good eye for capturing a culture. I wonder what Galen Rowell would think of the digital photography revolution. He worked harder than I know than just about anyone to get similar photos out of his F100.

Thanks for posting these photos. I'll like to see more.

It reminds me of my stay in Nepal in 1981. The big difference being the way that the men are dressed.

They used to dress more traditionally, I assume? It's interesting to see that the women still dress quite traditionally, at least relative to the men anyway. Western culture is certainly making itself known over there!

Still plenty more to be subjected to, I'm pretty sure I approached somewhere around 4 000 shots for the trip!

A few of food today:

Some chilli and lime used to flavour one of our afternoon snacks at a small local eatery
tumblr_mo0rrmXb2L1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

The standard breakfast each morning at the refugee camp; Aloo Paratha. Awesome! (And cost about 35c...)
tumblr_mdxyo3mFLy1qdcaxao1_1280.jpg

And more chiya, of course.
tumblr_mdoiotQ3NY1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

Dosa, one of my favourite subcontinental foods. These ones were good too, so crispy!
tumblr_mo0ob7coWz1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

This was taken after we had had lunch... Interesting to watch the guy prepare the chicken!
tumblr_mf4vxqu8Ma1qdcaxao1_500.jpg

Cheers for looking and for the comments guys :)

Great. I like food shots too.

Your subcontinental breakfast looks good, but I'm not sure about the drink. Is it coffee? What did you do to it?

Keep posting.

Thanks for sharing these. I'm braving Nepal next week (even though it's monsoon) for the Eid break and escaping the heat and humidity of the Middle East.

Your photos have really given me a taste of what to expect.

Ciao
everything comes from that area of the world is of great interest for me, although I'm more focused on the ex soviet -Stan republics. Actually I think the most striking shot - almost in a pure Leica style - is the girl's hand begging at car window, but every picture has clearly a story, I like the one in the noodle making factory and the one "in one of the less trafficated road". I was also wondering in your first set if pic #4 shows electrical wires suspended in the air, aren't they?

I don't believe I've seen images from this part of the world here in the Cafe. Thanks for sharing these. The look on the young girls face just looks so sad to me.

After I've finished the Iceland postings I will try to post some of my Bhutan shots. Although more centered on landscape and birds I think you will like them :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom