Netbook Computers & Multimedia Stroage Devices

I had the opportunity to have a good session with a new Asus eee PC 900. Linux, not XP. I found it remarkably good and astonishingly cheap.

I only noticed two bad things about it.

1. The screen only gives a colour depth of 16 instead of 256, which means photos don't display all that well.

2. Asus left out part of Linux which configures various settings such as the display of dates. Fine if you are from the USA, but what about Europe! So you can only get MM/DD/YY in the file manager. In theory you can download chunks of repository and reconfigure it but you need to be a superior Linux geek.

I put Ubuntu Linux on mine. Goes by the name Easy Peasy. It took a bit to install since, like you say, it helps to be a Linux geek.

It even supported two finger touch pad, and gained 1/4 free space on the 4gb ssd. The display looks great as well. Not sure about the flexability of the date format however. Info is probably on the web.

i might buy the asus 1000HE netbook for $364 , use it as storage as well and surfing the net . i hope the 9 hour battery life holds true.

I've (Wife) got the 1000H, and it holds an easy 5 hours of browsing/nonsense at a bright screen with wifi.. so that 9 hour *could* be feasable, in optimum conditions of not actually using the system!

in the same vein, the screen is actually pretty decent, better than i was expecting from a ~400 lappy (at the time, they dropped considerably since then.)

my main beef is that the vertical resolution isn't very good on most of these. if its possible to get a ___x1024 now, i would pay extra for that!

Some people on MacRumors think that there may be "something new and exciting" presented on March 24th; Apple has just released new models of the iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro, with a bit of a gentle speed bump to the 15" MacBook Pro, so what's left? "Something new and exciting" could be the announcement of Snow Leopard, the newest version of the OS, OR it could be -- yes, it could possibly be -- a netbook or an overgrown iPhone/iPod Touch (a sort of tablet, as it were) or something else altogether. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

The Mac Mini, being a "headless" machine, can't really qualify as a netbook per se, as one also has to provide a monitor, keyboard and mouse with it, unlike a notebook or netbook. The closest thing to a netbook that Apple is offering right now is the sleek, elegant 13.3" MacBook Air, now in rev B. I love my MBA but certainly wouldn't mind having something even smaller in dimension!

There are reports from several usually reliable industry sources that Apple has ordered a boatload of 10" touchscreen lcd units. That sure sounds like a component of a netbook. I just love spreading rumors.... :tongue:

Yep, MacRumors is really hopping with speculation now.....will it be a tablet? Will it be a clamshell? Will it be an overgrown iPhone/iPod Touch? What features will it offer? In the meantime Apple has announced that they are going to have a session on March 17th talking about the next iPhone and iPhone 3.0 features.....

Last year ASUS sold 5 million netbooks and the other labels sold a total of 10 million, most of them Acer, Samsung, and MSI. Europe and Asia were the big buyers.

It will be interesting to see the pricing strategy on an Apple netbook and its impact on the MacBook Air.

I just don't see apple selling anything similar to a netbook for less than $400 which is almost a must for this type of machine and limiting specs... if they can break the $400 barrier with a decent machine - they could really boost the market!

Very nice analysis, Mike! I am still hoping that Apple will come out with its own netbook one of these days. I adore my MacBook Air but it would be nice to have an even smaller machine for simply stashing images while out in the field......

You can install and run leopard on the MSI netbook without "tinkering" to get it to run.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom