Network drive suggestions

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by jcdoss, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Looking for a decent wireless HDD solution for a home network. The Newegg.com selection is fairly paltry and the reviews aren't very good. Any ideas appreciated!

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. If you can hold off for a couple of months, MS's new Windows Home Server is going to be a killer app for photographers. It will come in a dedicated box from one of the major vendors (HP, etc.) or as a do-it-yourself package. You will simply plug it into a standard wireless router. No keyboard, mouse, or monitor necessary. With multiple drives on board, it will perform redundant data protection as well as full backups of all PCs. With a cable or DSL connection you will also have remote access to your photos from virtually anywhere in the world.

I have beta tested this product through several levels and it is very impressive. An absolute piece-of-cake to install and run. Does NOT require indepth PC skills at all.

More here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

And, no, you can't buy it from me and I don't own any MS stock!!:smile:

Cheers!!

Ken

4. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Indeed, that does sound killer. Will the price also be killer?

5. Nothing firm yet on pricing, but the preliminary information is that it will be pretty modest considering what you get. I've heard something around $700-1,000 for the complete system or a couple of hundred for the software by itself.

I've tested it on a Celeron-based basic Dell server (purchased through the Outlet for around $600 as I recall) and it worked perfectly.

Cheers!!

Ken

6. Being another person that has a home network with a wireless router, I'm not sure I understand what a wireless HDD solution offers you aside from slower data speeds. I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest, but wouldn't a wired storage device give you 100mb/s (or even 1gb/s depending on the speed of the wired network), while a wireless device running at G speeds will only give 54mb/s speeds?

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    And on a shared medium that is prone to interference... I suppose for backups but in the world of "ooh more megapixels", it seems odd to go for slower data solutions.