Critique Never done this until now

I've never photographed wine using a side piece until making this photo. I have to admit that I came upon the idea by accident when I was placing a white reflector on the right side of the bottle and accidentally positioned the reflector so it was included in the frame. Viewing it on the camera's LCD made me realize it was an improvement of my original concept. If only I can make more mistakes I like this much. :)

EDIT: The second image, which displays some of the letters in the label darker, was added after a discussion pursued about whether that would be a good idea.

Setup
A gold sheet and a white sheet of presentation board are at the rear and right side, respectively. The tabletop is translucent vellum. A fluorescent ceiling lamp was above and to the left.

Original
Mike 2020-06-10--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Revision
Mike 2020-06-10--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Binnur!

But there is light there Nick. So LL's have to stay lighter to make sense.
You're right, Binnur, at least to a certain extent and maybe entirely. However, if I had made the last few letters darker from the outset, I doubt that you would be complaining that they should have been lighter. One reason might be that the material the letters are made from might reflect light differently than the material around them (though I concede that the material is the same). The other reason might be that you might prefer the look of the darkened letters. Regardless, now that you've raised the point, I feel obliged to display the second version. It has been added to the first post in the thread.

Last edited:
Thanks, Binnur!

You're right, Binnur, at least to a certain extent and maybe entirely. However, if I had made the last few letters darker from the outset, I doubt that you would be complaining that they should have been lighter. One reason might be that the material the letters are made from might reflect light differently than the material around them (though I concede that the material is the same). The other reason might be that you might prefer the look of the darkened letters. Regardless, now that you've raised the point, I feel obliged to display the second version. It has been added to the first post in the thread.
Your revised version looks also good Mike as the I and LLs are still a bit lighter than the other dark letters. Buy you lost the shine on the revised letters which were in harmony with the bright part of the gold label. So, I still prefer the original but never mind it is a beautiful image anyway(y)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom