Never Give Up

Yesterday was sort of a down day for me. It was hot, I didn't feel well, and smoke from distant wild fires(they say from California) is moving in. I was in a pretty low mood. Today I decided that I needed to turn that around, so after I got up, I got dressed, grabbed my D5600 and very lightweight 70-300 f 4.5-6, and went for a walk. I guess this is my version of street photography. If the mundane thread in the CS was still open, I would add these there because they are definitely mundane. But a boring walk and looking for things to photograph really lifted my sour mood. Does photography do that for you?

Here is what I found while trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

The red sky (from the smoke) looked pretty
_56D7484.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Two families of ducks were in the ditch, plus the ditchrider had cut down some of the weeds along the bank so I could see into the water better.
_56D7494.jpg
_56D7515.jpg

The irrigation system was off so I could walk around the sod farm without getting wet. Edit: just noticed horizon isn't level.....whoops!
_56D7532.jpg

There was a huge bee on a thistle blossom.
_56D7541.jpg

I was reminded to "Never Give Up"
_56D7546.jpg

The splashing water made a pretty sound.
_56D7565.jpg

Fall colors are starting.
_56D7566.jpg

Even weeds can have pretty flowers.
_56D7580.jpg
_56D7571.jpg

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

_56D7590.jpg

This little camera and cheap $150 refurbished lens was worth it's weight in gold today. Now I'm off to work and hopefully a productive day!! Thanks for letting me vent and for giving me a reason to get out with my camera today. No one else would be interested in these silly photos, but I'm sure you folks will understand what pursuing the hobby we love means to us. It's so much more fun when we can share.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with how much a simple walk around a favorite place with a camera in hand can be an instant picker-upper! Definitely I am one who is happiest when I'm shooting, even if the scenes or subjects aren't all that interesting to anyone else, or even if I get home and discover that I made some careless error when setting up to shoot, etc. It's more about the shooting experience itself than it is the end product, although of course it is great to have a set of images which are indeed pleasing and fun to look at and share!

Thanks for the walk Terri. It's nice to see that someone has a beautiful place to get out and walk around. We were quarantined for the corona virus earlier and now were quarantined because of the heat. So sick of 115 temps.

I absolutely agree with how much a simple walk around a favorite place with a camera in hand can be an instant picker-upper! Definitely I am one who is happiest when I'm shooting, even if the scenes or subjects aren't all that interesting to anyone else, or even if I get home and discover that I made some careless error when setting up to shoot, etc. It's more about the shooting experience itself than it is the end product, although of course it is great to have a set of images which are indeed pleasing and fun to look at and share!
Connie, wouldn't it be fun if we could go on a walk with our cameras together!!

Thanks for the walk Terri. It's nice to see that someone has a beautiful place to get out and walk around. We were quarantined for the corona virus earlier and now were quarantined because of the heat. So sick of 115 temps.
You'll be ready for winter!! We have been hot enough here, I can't imagine how bad it is in your area. I keep telling myself to not hate the heat because cold weather is coming.....

What, you don't have a pool. I don't understand.:sneaky:
pool.JPG

Nick, I wonder how I made it through my youth after having swam in numerous irrigation ditches.
Yeah, those things can be deadly.
Some 15 years ago, my son and 2 friends were getting ready to head over to India for a few months (they were sick of college!). On the same day, in 3 separate locations all 3 kids had "nearer my God to thee" experiences. My son rolled his car at 80mph on the freeway out side Missoula (not even a scratch on him, car was totaled. The second got knocked unconscious by a water ski and was airlifted to Spokane. The third was sucked into a downspout in an irrigation ditch SW of Boise. Of the 3, he had the most serious trauma and the longest recovery.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom