Never sell a classic lens (scanned)

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Here's my wife shot back in 1994 at Fisherman's Wharf (San Francisco). Using my old N90 (loaded with Velvia 50) and Nikon 180 2.8 which I SOLD to finance my move to digital. :oops: This scan (Nikon Coolscan V ED) was so sharp I had to add blur to take the edge off. And just look at that SWEET bokeh.

NEVER, ever, EVER sell a classic lens. :(

[​IMG]

Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Joe

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I love mine for exactly that - portraiture. Some would say that it flattens the face too much, but shot in tight like that on a 35mm, you can did a perfect 'thirds' composition and get beautiful - and colorful - bokeh.

Nice one!

3. Nice image of your wife Joe. I too had the exact same lens and used to use it all the time for portraits. What's funny is I sold mine for the same reason, my move to digital. It was my favorite lens and I was swayed because it didn't have a CPU. I would love to have it back.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon and Joe :

All is not lost. If you can find one of these lenses again, it could be chipped... See :

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/NikonFAQ.htm

They're not exorbitant on eBay or KEH, either (although you need to add $115 for chipping the lens).

I'll confess that I may keep my eyes open for one now, given what I've heard from you (and others).

John P.

5. Thanks very much Chris. It really is ideal for 35mm. I guess I should take solace in having the 85 1.4 which is actually just as good (if not better) and a great alternative for 1.5 crop factor.

Joe

6. Thanks Gordon. Mine was a cpu lens (AFAIK) so there was no real detriment to keeping it, although as I mention above the 85 1.4 is a slightly better lens and perfect for 1.5 crop factor.

7. I believe it and this is part of my lens lust. :D

8. I totally agree ...

That is an awesome lens and an awesome looking wife ... :lol:

9. Re: I totally agree ...

Thanks Yves. :D I guess I made the right choice selling the lens and keeping the wife. :D

Regards,

Joe

10. Thanks for the info John. As I mentioned to Gordon, my lens didn't need to be chipped, it worked fine with the D100. I just kept to my plan and sold it. You should keep your eyes open for a good deal, it's a fabulous lens. Smaller and lighter than you think for it's reach and only matched by the 85 1.4 or 135 f2DC for bokeh.

Joe

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005

12. I have often said that quality camera come and go but quality lens go on for ever. Your lens suports that statement.

13. gwh1bass

gwh1bass

Sep 14, 2008
    Lansing MI
    Well all I see is " direct linking denied".

14. gwh1bass

gwh1bass

Sep 14, 2008
    Lansing MI
    Oops, a nine year old thread was resurected.