Never sell a classic lens (scanned)

Here's my wife shot back in 1994 at Fisherman's Wharf (San Francisco). Using my old N90 (loaded with Velvia 50) and Nikon 180 2.8 which I SOLD to finance my move to digital. :oops: This scan (Nikon Coolscan V ED) was so sharp I had to add blur to take the edge off. And just look at that SWEET bokeh.

NEVER, ever, EVER sell a classic lens. :(

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Joe

Real Name
Chris
I love mine for exactly that - portraiture. Some would say that it flattens the face too much, but shot in tight like that on a 35mm, you can did a perfect 'thirds' composition and get beautiful - and colorful - bokeh.

Nice one!

Nice image of your wife Joe. I too had the exact same lens and used to use it all the time for portraits. What's funny is I sold mine for the same reason, my move to digital. It was my favorite lens and I was swayed because it didn't have a CPU. I would love to have it back.

Gordon and Joe :

All is not lost. If you can find one of these lenses again, it could be chipped... See :

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/NikonFAQ.htm

They're not exorbitant on eBay or KEH, either (although you need to add $115 for chipping the lens).

I'll confess that I may keep my eyes open for one now, given what I've heard from you (and others).

John P.

Chris101 said:
I love mine for exactly that - portraiture. Some would say that it flattens the face too much, but shot in tight like that on a 35mm, you can did a perfect 'thirds' composition and get beautiful - and colorful - bokeh.

Nice one!
Thanks very much Chris. It really is ideal for 35mm. I guess I should take solace in having the 85 1.4 which is actually just as good (if not better) and a great alternative for 1.5 crop factor.

Joe

greyflash said:
Nice image of your wife Joe. I too had the exact same lens and used to use it all the time for portraits. What's funny is I sold mine for the same reason, my move to digital. It was my favorite lens and I was swayed because it didn't have a CPU. I would love to have it back.
Thanks Gordon. Mine was a cpu lens (AFAIK) so there was no real detriment to keeping it, although as I mention above the 85 1.4 is a slightly better lens and perfect for 1.5 crop factor.

Joe Marques said:
greyflash said:
Thanks Gordon. Mine was a cpu lens (AFAIK) so there was no real detriment to keeping it, although as I mention above the 85 1.4 is a slightly better lens and perfect for 1.5 crop factor.
I believe it and this is part of my lens lust. :D

PJohnP said:
Gordon and Joe :

All is not lost. If you can find one of these lenses again, it could be chipped... See :

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/NikonFAQ.htm

They're not exorbitant on eBay or KEH, either (although you need to add $115 for chipping the lens).

I'll confess that I may keep my eyes open for one now, given what I've heard from you (and others).

John P.
Thanks for the info John. As I mentioned to Gordon, my lens didn't need to be chipped, it worked fine with the D100. I just kept to my plan and sold it. You should keep your eyes open for a good deal, it's a fabulous lens. Smaller and lighter than you think for it's reach and only matched by the 85 1.4 or 135 f2DC for bokeh.

Joe

Joe Marques said:
PJohnP said:
Thanks for the info John. As I mentioned to Gordon, my lens didn't need to be chipped, it worked fine with the D100. I just kept to my plan and sold it. You should keep your eyes open for a good deal, it's a fabulous lens. Smaller and lighter than you think for it's reach and only matched by the 85 1.4 or 135 f2DC for bokeh.
Yah, it's lens lust alright, given that I already own a 105mm DC and have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on the 85mm f/1.4 . Watching everyone's work with the 85mm clearly convinced me of the benefits of that lens.

The 105mm DC is particularly insidious, as it "sucks you in" with the detent capability. Pretty soon, you're testing all of the settings madly, comparing the various detents are different apertures, pondering lighting... it's just a mass of beautiful bokeh confronting you ! {wry smile}

Now I have the 180mm to contemplate... As Charlie Brown was known to say on many occasions, "Argh !"

John P.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom