Never walk into a camera store ...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Julien, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    with lens lust because it can't get any better. I went in to see if I could rent a 10.5 for the big bmx event next month , and before I left ( and who knows why that idea popped in mind ) I asked if they sold used gear ... bad idea n°1 . Then for some reason I asked about a 85mm 1.8 ... bad idea n°2. They had one , so I popped it on my D2H and boy oh boy was that lens sharp and the AF was faaaaast. I snapped 2/3 photos of the street from inside the shop and I was really blown away ! And the price isn't too expensive ( at least for us "lucky" Europeans ) it's like a 22% rebate off . He'll have it checked by Nikon before selling it too so I'm sure to get a proper lens , if I buy it that is.

Well now instead of wanting only one lens I'm down to 2 :biggrin:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Julien
    I enjoy your outlook on things.

4. I had to go to the dentist yesterday, and the only good part of that is he is just a a few blocks away from my local camera store. I had planned to stop in and look at a few small things, but I was strong and didn't do it! I hope the lens checks out for you...I would have done the same thing:biggrin:

5. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    Hey Julien...off topic but, what ever happened with that photo that you were trying to get published in JPEG magazine? I think it was the "Street" theme. Anyway, did it get voted in?

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Thanks a lot for all your support guys :biggrin:

Doug my photo never made it to the print ... oh well I'm getting published each month now in 2 BMX magazines so I can't complain :tongue:

7. I know the feeling. Yesterday I took a couple of hours off and went to a shop to look at monopods. Well these people do a huge business in used gear, and had just traded someones complete system or so it seemed. I picked up a mint 85mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4 and I did grap a Velbon CF monopod also. They mentioned that they may havre a 600mm AFS II coming in used. Now that would be nice!

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Oh , one more thing : I got to try an 8mm fisheye that day too !!!! Boy is that thing scary. Not only because it's not cheap , but just looking in the viewfinder with this lens on is simething utterly disorienting. I really felt like my balance was having trouble, and it's really weird to see your feet in the frame as well. I can't begin to imagine the 6mm fisheye :biggrin:

9. Dentist near the camera store! Yikes!!!!
    I can just see Mason with no teeth and a bag full of expensive lenses.:biggrin: :biggrin:

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    With what my dentist charges, it would be the dentist with new lenses.:frown:

11. Thanks Bill, that is a funny thought!

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wish I HAD A local shop. The internet ate mine!

Boo-Hoo....

Julien, I read one of your other post that you've got a WHOLEstreet full of shops.

Dangerous, Indeed1

13. What is the name and number of the store - unless you want it for yourself. :smile:

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France

Yep, dangerous indeed !! Actually Paris is quite famous for that , there are lots of places in the city that are dedicated to a specific "product". Near where I live there are tons of music related stores , there's of course this whole street that's packed with photography stores etc ... And it's been that way for a pretty long time too. I think this street has been known for that for somewhat 100 years or so :cool:

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

I would trade some of my teeth for some sweeet glass!!