1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Never walk into a camera store ...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Julien, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    with lens lust because it can't get any better. I went in to see if I could rent a 10.5 for the big bmx event next month , and before I left ( and who knows why that idea popped in mind ) I asked if they sold used gear ... bad idea n°1 . Then for some reason I asked about a 85mm 1.8 ... bad idea n°2. They had one , so I popped it on my D2H and boy oh boy was that lens sharp and the AF was faaaaast. I snapped 2/3 photos of the street from inside the shop and I was really blown away ! And the price isn't too expensive ( at least for us "lucky" Europeans ) it's like a 22% rebate off . He'll have it checked by Nikon before selling it too so I'm sure to get a proper lens , if I buy it that is.

Well now instead of wanting only one lens I'm down to 2 :biggrin:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Julien
    I enjoy your outlook on things.

4. I had to go to the dentist yesterday, and the only good part of that is he is just a a few blocks away from my local camera store. I had planned to stop in and look at a few small things, but I was strong and didn't do it! I hope the lens checks out for you...I would have done the same thing:biggrin:

5. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    Hey Julien...off topic but, what ever happened with that photo that you were trying to get published in JPEG magazine? I think it was the "Street" theme. Anyway, did it get voted in?

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Thanks a lot for all your support guys :biggrin:

Doug my photo never made it to the print ... oh well I'm getting published each month now in 2 BMX magazines so I can't complain :tongue:

7. I know the feeling. Yesterday I took a couple of hours off and went to a shop to look at monopods. Well these people do a huge business in used gear, and had just traded someones complete system or so it seemed. I picked up a mint 85mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4 and I did grap a Velbon CF monopod also. They mentioned that they may havre a 600mm AFS II coming in used. Now that would be nice!

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Oh , one more thing : I got to try an 8mm fisheye that day too !!!! Boy is that thing scary. Not only because it's not cheap , but just looking in the viewfinder with this lens on is simething utterly disorienting. I really felt like my balance was having trouble, and it's really weird to see your feet in the frame as well. I can't begin to imagine the 6mm fisheye :biggrin:

9. Dentist near the camera store! Yikes!!!!
    I can just see Mason with no teeth and a bag full of expensive lenses.:biggrin: :biggrin:

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    With what my dentist charges, it would be the dentist with new lenses.:frown:

11. Thanks Bill, that is a funny thought!

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wish I HAD A local shop. The internet ate mine!

Boo-Hoo....

Julien, I read one of your other post that you've got a WHOLEstreet full of shops.

Dangerous, Indeed1

13. What is the name and number of the store - unless you want it for yourself. :smile:

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France

Yep, dangerous indeed !! Actually Paris is quite famous for that , there are lots of places in the city that are dedicated to a specific "product". Near where I live there are tons of music related stores , there's of course this whole street that's packed with photography stores etc ... And it's been that way for a pretty long time too. I think this street has been known for that for somewhat 100 years or so :cool: 

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

I would trade some of my teeth for some sweeet glass!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.