Never work with kids?!...

Discussion in 'People' started by PeterRH, Oct 4, 2005.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Well, might as well get stuck into my first proper thread on Nikon Cafe.

One of the most challenging shoots I did recently was for a mother's group (introduced via my wife so I could not afford to fail....) to somehow get all their kids together, and get portraits as well as 'formal' group sessions.

I asked on dpreview for any hints/tips, but everyone disappeared at the speed of light (or greater).

Worse, on the appointed day the sun refused to show, but rain clouds did.

Despite this I got through something in excess of 200 shots using a conservatory (can you imagine the difficulty of setting up a couple of flashguns so the light doesn't show up in the glass) for the portraits and then got them all outside to play in the few minutes between rain showers.

And because I had to shoot in the conservatory my plans to use the 70-200VR collapsed about my ears and I had to use - untested - the 18-70 'kitlens' on my D2x....oh dear.

Here are just a few to demonstrate group, mini-group, and portraits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like to dance?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shot on a D2x.

Boy, was I tired after this day....

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wow, Peter! That was quite a challenging assignment! Glad I didn't have to try to work with all those kids. The shots came out very nice despite the challenges and I'm sure the parents will be pleased.

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Sooper job - what a challenge and you certainly came out trumps. Those first two made the whole day worthwhile. I hope the Mums know what a bargain they got.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I know what it's like trying to get candids of my two year old and three year old sons....I'd say you did VERY, VERY, VERY WELL!!!! And speaking as a mom, their moms will love these!

5. srullik

srullik Guest

Hi Peter.
    First of all it sure is a tough assignment.. (-;
    About the pictures - they are all very nice but in the first one the background is too busy and it draws the attention from the kid.
    The second one is just beautiful but I do wish she was looking at you.
    The third.. well.... his foot is cut (I'm sure his mother would'nt mind that but it's here for review so ..).
    The fourth is great and they are all aligned very nice in the frame but I generally prefer to shoot children from their height.
    About the others - no complains. Just great.

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. I did a lot of the portrait shots and I prefer these from the day, even though I was forced into shooting inside a conservatory with all the framework/furniture/other kids in the background (had to raise the SB800's on clamps in the roof...).

Even so the pics outside worked out and all the mum's were very happy...

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

And thanks to you

Thanks...for me the story is as much about the assignment, and delivering something that worked, as it was about getting good shots - I'm certainly not offering these up as great photo's, and so your points are valid (though I like portraits of children with them looking away if it shows something about their character).

The kind of thing I prefer to do is get control over the situation, but not in studio settings (much prefer natural, at home pics):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But this shoot really tested this to the limit as you can imagine!

Thanks and looking forward to discussing more photo's soon.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

All I can say is WOW!!! what a great photograph... I love her eyes...

9. srullik

srullik Guest

Peter this are two great shots. Just beautiful.