1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New 2018 MBPs Just Announced!

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Clix Pix, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Apple Launches 2018 MacBook Pros: 8th Gen Core, Up to 32GB of RAM, Third-Gen Keyboard, Quad-Core on 13-Inch and More

To the surprise and delight of many Apple fans, the long-awaited "refresh" and spec upgrade of the MacBook Pro 13" and MacBook Pro 15" was announced this morning on Apple's web page. Rumors and speculation have been floating around for months, and many users were getting frustrated with the lengthy time span between the release of the 2017 MBPs and now.

For those who need and want one of these machines with their new specs, the waiting is over....

2. Wow - finally broke the 16 gb memory barrier!

3. Well, well, well! That came out of nowhere.

4. Yes, it really did come out of the blue -- it was a big surprise, as many on MR had been direly predicting that Apple wouldn't release anything until the fall and that they would still be shipping the MBPs with 16GB as the maximum RAM. The offering in storage capacity, too, was a surprise -- albeit anyone who goes for the fully maxed-out top-of the-line 15" will have to have deep pockets. Professional videographers will love this, though!

Ars Technica has an article today, as do most of the other major tech sites....full reviews should be appearing pretty soon, too.

Apple’s new 2018 MacBook Pros are now available, and the top specs are much faster

5. I'm glad they have acknowledged and seem to be addressing the keyboard issues that plagued the last generation of MBP. A real black eye for Apple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. These new ones look good, bigger SSD, more memory. Pricey, the one I'd get is almost $5k. Without poking around much, I could pick up a nice used 500mm f/4 lens for what one of these laptops cost. The lens would get a lot more use.

7. I see that the "Touch Bar" is still included. Wasn't users' consensus very negative toward that?

8. I’ve used mine a few times to adjust speaker volume. I don’t think it ever caught on the way Apple hoped.

9. Is the memory user-upgradeable on these?

10. No, the memory is NOT user-upgradeable, nor is the SSD. One has to be pretty sure of what the desired configuration is before making the purchase, and one has to look ahead to the future. The days of being able to buy the base amount of RAM and then later being able to open the machine and swap out the RAM/add more are long gone as far as Apple is concerned. If one anticipates a need for a fair amount of RAM and a fairly substantial amount of storage, then they need to buy it right from the get-go.

11. I read they’re expected to announce new IMacs and the Mac mini too. Curious if they go down this non-upgradable path with them too. OWC might have a solution for the SSD in these MacBooks, depending on how difficult Apple made it to do.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. This! Yes! And the 1TB SSD barrier. But wicked expensive.

Upgraded i9 6-core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD for $3899.

MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

13. Walter, I would get what you mention but perhaps the 512 drive. That is big enough for my uses.

However, I plan to keep what I have now till it breaks down.
    MBP.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14. Slow, but capable and paid for, and I'm keeping it despite the fact that the new OS will not work on it.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 08.12.17.jpg

15. I'm still very happy with my 15" with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM that I bought at nearly the end of 2015.....

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.34.14 AM.png

16. From what I've read, they're not changing the keyboard with the new models with respect to the problem; instead they are lumping them into the special warranty program:

"Sadly, while the new 2018 MacBook Pro does have an updated third-generation keyboard, Apple tells CNET it doesn't include any new engineering or tweaks to address the sticky key issue."

So it's still a gamble on whether it will need to go in under warranty.

Sean

17. I imagine it would be a wise move on any customer's part to buy AppleCare + for their new MBP, but that will add another $379 to the price tag of whatever model and whatever configuration they choose.... I always buy AppleCare / AppleCare + for whatever I'm buying, especially if it is something which is mobile and will be leaving the house with me.

18. If I were buying one of these -- and I'm not ruling it out as a possible purchase in the future, actually, but am not in any hurry! -- I would probably go with the i7 6-core 15" with 512 GB SSD and 32 G RAM. I have found over the past two-and-a-half years that 512 GB storage seems to be the "sweet spot" for me, and have developed a nice little system using external SSDs not only for backups but also as "supplemental" drives where I stash folders and files that I don't need in the machine's internal drive but do want to be able to grab fairly quickly. Although I don't usually stress out my current 15" with 16 GB RAM, there have been a few times when I've wished that I had just a bit more.....

19. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Waiting to see what happens with the imac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.