New 35 1.4G has more barrel distortion than the 35/2?

I could swear I'm seeing this. They're both 35mm lenses, so shouldn't the BD be nearly identical? Is the increased glass realestate causing it? Is it my imagination?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know but I don't every worry about barrel distortion. Getting a program like DXO or Lightroom that has automatic lens correction makes it one less thing to worry about.

You should post examples!

I'm going to do some testing tomorrow, so I will then.

I don't know but I don't every worry about barrel distortion. Getting a program like DXO or Lightroom that has automatic lens correction makes it one less thing to worry about.

I have LR3, but don't use it much for removal of distortion. Most people think that when they get a dent in their car they can just "pop it out", but in fact, the metal has stretched, and has become thinner in that spot, so to get it back to where it was, it must be shrunk. I have a feeling that lens distortion works the very same way, and merely "correcting" it probably causes a distortion of its own.

Andrew perhaps your guilty of a little pixel peeping - is it rally noticeable? Also your analogy with the car is valid but pixels are not as rigid as steel or aluminum. :biggrin:

Just get out there and shoot there isn't some conspiracy that the lens is a dud. I bet if the lens cost $500 you would be screaming of how awesome it is.

But with that said looking to see what you come up with.

Photozone does show the 35/1.4G having noticeably more distortion than the 35/2D, although they noted that the 1.4G's distortion was symmetrical and easy to correct.

You know me too well Dom, I tend to try to justify my investment as quickly as possible by scanning the details intently at first. The lens is a keeper, no worries.

Excellent info Steve, thanks.

i have a 35 f/2D, and am wondering if this 1.4G is worth the investment? Or should i go with the 24 f/1.4G instead?

The 24 is the superior lens IMO, save for the increased distortion, which is why I got the 35. The 35 seems to be a great lens, but is really unspectacular IMO. The 24, well, she's a peach.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom