1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New 35 f2 AF-D or used 35 f1.4 AIS?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Aug 27, 2008.

1. I am going to be going to NY in about three weeks and will finally be buying a 35mm (got lost amid rush to buy other lens).

I was set on getting the 35 f2 when i saw on B+H and adorama used copies of the 35 f1.4.

I would just like some opinions on which to get and some samples, particularly the 35 f1.4 on the D3/D700.

thanks all in advance.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I have thought many times to get the 1.4
    I love the look it gives from examples I have seen

but I usually use the 35 for quick street shots, where AF gets the shot, MF would be hit or miss
    IMO, the wider the focal length, the harder hitting the focus
    YMMV

3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I have the 35mm f/1.4 my D200. I was worried about manual focusing precisely in these street situations, but must admit that it hasn't been a big issue at all. But also I have grown to accept the range of imperfection inherent to street photography, so even slightly out of focus doesn't bother me on those types of shots. In focus for static images, it is enchanting.

I love my 35mm f/1.4 so much I just bought a second one (in stellar condition except for a bit of peeling paint of the finish on the barrel, but only a slight cosmetic concern) for my husband...

Those copies you're looking at, though, cost more than 2x almost the price of the 35 f/2....+~10% if you buy in NY...don't they??

if cost matters get the 35 f/2 or the Sigma 30 f/1.4 (if speed is an issue).

if you want magic, either find the 35mm f/1.4 AIS in a private sale, or buy at those NY retailer prices... you'll forget the price difference with the first shot!!!

4. Get the 35/1.4. It's an excellent lens with great image quality. It's a good choice for street photography and despite it's MF, focusing is easy and with some practice, you can fire quite rapidly.

5. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    35 1.4 Rulez

I have the 35 1.4 AIS. It is truly a great lens. If you want to use it on your D3 then I can highly recommend it. All my AIS lenses shine on the new full frame sensor. Due to the larger VF it is also much easier now to focus, which was anyway not that hard on a D2x but is much better on my new D700 :) 

IF you really need AF then get the 35 2.0 which gives also great results, but if you want something special then the 1.4 is the way to go.

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    funny , but I think of my 35/2 as having alot of the characteristics of these older Ai/Ais lenses, but with AF

maybe one reason I like it so much...............

7. 35/1.4 AI-S is the fastest MF lens to Focus

35/1.4 AI-S is the fastest MF lens to focus I ever used...

Love it and have it on my D3 almost as much as my 28/1.4, a compact and very capable lens.

Love the bokeh, had the 35/2 (twice) and did not keep it, bought the 35/1.4 last spring and it is still with me, actually my new favorite street photography lens.

A few samples captured with the 35/1.4

351one4at56.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 243625

View attachment 243626

View attachment 243627

You can't get that softness at f/2 you'll need f/1.4 for this (Sorry Frank.... yes the 35/2 is truly awesome but the 1.4 has a little extra but the 35/2 has auto-focus)

View attachment 243628

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice shots Dude

the 35/2 can be soft, and get right up in there too...:wink:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  9. That 35 1.4 has a lot of CA. I'd rather stick to the 35 f/2. The bokeh isn't very pretty at all.

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    CA ?
    the 35/2 isn't known for its bokeh
    but it is for close focus
    probably shot from 6-7 inches from the first flower

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  11. 35/1.4 AI-S has a lot of CA... I guess so, yes.

The 35/1.4 AI-S does not have a pretty Bokeh... (The 35/2 has prettier bokeh) I agree but it is rather unique and at f/2 and higher almost all CA is 100% gone and it is a truly sharp lens.

The 35/1.4 bokeh is certainly not pretty but pretty unique and ... pleasing to me, since it does not cream out the background unless there is major separation from the subject and background. You can still recognize what's in the background but it is ... all weird like... something out of a dream.

You could probably have gotten closer to it as well, a shot at 1.4 captured with the 35/1.4 AI-S taken a few days ago :biggrin:

And now that I look at it, I do find one thing and do not find another thing, I find no CA and I do find the bokeh rather pretty what say you? :wink:

ThreeFiveOneFourAISb.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  12. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Iv got the Nikkor 35 2 AIS and have no complaints. It's a great lens, super sharp easy to focus on the D3/F4s.
    One of the reason's Im looking at getting Nikkor 35.14 AIS is the signature bokeh when used wide open at close focus subjects. Shots/capture's made with this classic Nikkor that I have seen, just have a "look" to them that makes them stand out from the crowd. That, and the build quality plus the 0.6 of a stop make the choice easy for me. I can live with owning more than one lens in a given focal length. (50 1.8, 50 1.4) (105/4, 105 1.8) (200/4 Mico, 200 2 ED-IF) so having two 35's seems to make sense. The more times you do it, makes it easyier to justify buying more Nikkor AIS glass :smile:

Gregory

13. Indeed both are excellent optics. If I had to choose I would go with the f1.4 lens. For me AF is not that important for landscape photography, my primary use if I had the lens. If AF is a necessity then the only choice is the 35mm f2.
    Seems to me the sharpness with the f1.4 is way better than that of the f2.
    If bokeh is of concern, let's remember that the 105 f2.5 AIS has one of the worst bokeh and instead it is still a very popular lens among portrait photographers.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

14. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    here is a play around shot of an 11 month old's foot. he wouldn't stay still for me to do any other photog, and the portraits i did are of other people's kids so i won't post them here, but they are stunning, you'll have to take my word for it!!!

2787968980_9474a7b1ca_o.jpg

not the best sample, but for today it's all i have. will add more later.

15. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    See what I mean about "signature". Great example.

Gregory

16. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    OK, these are by no means exemplary for the performance of the lens...especially the Pantheon one, which if you've ever been you know how it is to get the ceiling there!!! For purposes of the camera it's a black ceiling, with bright daylight through the hole...

Anyway these are all the test shots I have for now. Haven't had time to use it the way I'd like.

2814018485_b56411f162_o.jpg

2814017783_8bb60b8a5d_o.jpg

2814837752_e83c593620_o.jpg

2813986487_af0f12c057_o.jpg

2814835814_5ccbd85658_o.png

17. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Dude's stuff from Paris, I must admit, was what made me decide to not put the decision off any longer and to go ahead and buy this lens.

18. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I also have the 30 1.4 Sigma, which the jury is still out on

I use my 35/2 for street grabs and from the hip shots...AF is needed

if I find the Sigma and I don't get along, I might get a 35 1.4 in its place
    I do love the "old world" look from some of these AiS lenses

my first priority is a lens in the 20mm genre, maybe 20 1.8 Sigma, or AiS 2.8
    then a 105 2.5 or 1.8

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  19. Frank, you sold me your 105/2.5 ... and I do have a 105/1.8 that may be up for grabs :wink: (He he he I love to tempt people :biggrin:) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.