New 58 mm Noct for Z

Real Name
Rodney
I wonder if this means Nikon will be spending more R&D dollars on Z mount lenses... ?

(I tried to edit and add; but I guess editing is turned off.)

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Mellen
My guess is that they will be spending more R&D money on S lenses for a while.

I am waiting to see images made with this new 0.95 58 mm lens at max aperture. It is going to take some skill and patience to make the most of it.

For now, I am impressed with the 50 f/1.8 S and the 35 f/1.8 S. I will more than likely get the 85 f/1.8 S when it ships this summer.

Real Name
Andy
IIRC, this lens was in Nikon's original roadmap from before the initial launch of the Z bodies. I didn't understand their reasoning then, and still don't get it.

Real Name
Rodney
IIRC, this lens was in Nikon's original roadmap from before the initial launch of the Z bodies. I didn't understand their reasoning then, and still don't get it.
The lens is a throw back. They made one in F mount in the 1970s (?) But it was F1.2.

They're showing off what the new larger flange can handle.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Now I do remember that lens existing in AI mount. I have yet to meet anyone who has it. Wonder who will buy this updated version.

According to Roland Vink’s Nikon Lens Database, the 58mm f/1.2 Noct AI lens was made between Feb 1977 and November 1981. The AIS version was made between Nov 1981 and 1998.

If you search the forums here on the Cafe you will find many references to it. Here is a review from Photography Life of a later AIS version. Nikon Noct-NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 Review - Photography Life

Latest threads

Top Bottom