New 70-300mm VR Lens with factory dust!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by thetintypeman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hello Fellow Nikon Café Friends,

Just got my brand new 70-300mm VR in and opened the very fresh Nikon package, unwrapped the lens, started dusting off the front lens to put on my new B+W UV Haze Protection Filter and much to my surprise...Dust specs on the inside of the Exterior Glass of the Lens!!! :eek:

I am very mad at this being this is supposed to be a quality Nikon product! :mad: I don't think this should effect the image but I only usually use my Pro Glass and have never experienced this.

Has anyone else had a problem with this issue?

Please advise...Thanks.

Jim

2. Yes, when I got my D80 the sensor was filthy - brand new out of the box!

3. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    This is unfortunate. Actually, Nikon is pretty good with their QA, but this will happen to just any companies. Just exchange for another one or send it to Nikon Service Center. Their service is unbeatable. I always drive to Melville to drop it off then pick it up in 4-5 days. Good luck with the lens.

4. Thanks for the response so far.

I know that Nikon will cover the repairs, it's just that I expect more from them, though I know things happen. What bums me out the most is I saved lunch money for months to save up for the lens and now I can't use it due to I am going to have to send back...feeling kinda blue! :910:

5. My Nikkor 24-85mm had dust right out of the box. I think it was the Wolf camera sales guys taking it in and out of the box to show customers that let the dust in, though.

So Nikon will clean the internal dust out for free under warranty? :smile: