New AF-S 50 f1.8 lens

Why would you sell your 1.8D? What does the new lens offer that makes it worth an upgrade of the same focal and apt

No prices available. If it seems to be a.good lens I may get one and sell my 50 f/1.8D

I'm buying a Sigma 50 this weekend.
Can this new lens change my decision?
Maybe buy 300 f/4 first while waiting for 50/1.8 AF-S release? :tongue:

Definitely excited.

I think it's for the DX crowd more so than the FX people, just because the autofocus will work on the lower end cameras.

I won't be selling my Sigma 50mm ƒ1.4 anytime soon though.

Dennis, I completely agree... Hopefully, the higher end bodies will continue to have the screwdriver autofocus for a long time to continue to support the older lenses. The fact that the 50 1.8 is probably the first and most commonly bought prime lens means a lot of consumer level body owners will want one, and it would be nice for it to autofocus. For me, I don't use my 50 1.8 D often enough to be tempted to upgrade. From what I've seen, the D version can't really be beat stopped down in terms of sharpness, even by the 1.4 and it is good enough for me at 1.8 as well. More upgrades is a good thing. Hopefully the price won't go up too much.

Because not everyone one who Owns a Nikon, owns a High end body, and it fits in their marketing for lower cost Primes for the rest of us..

Even if I own a D3s and D3x I would still want one! If the rumored specs are true, the new 50/1.8G appears to have better optics than the 1.4G (with the addition of asph element). I'm guessing/hoping that it will have the smoothness of the Sigma 50 bokeh and the accuracy of the Nikon 50G.

Even if I own a D3s and D3x I would still want one! If the rumored specs are true, the new 50/1.8G appears to have better optics than the 1.4G (with the addition of asph element). I'm guessing/hoping that it will have the smoothness of the Sigma 50 bokeh and the accuracy of the Nikon 50G.

In the brief time that nikon had the 50g web page up they had mtf charts up and some samples. I dunno how good the sig is but the new 50 looks to have much better bokeh than the current 50 1.8. And I don't know how to read an mtf chart but it's supposed to be sharper too.

Why the F would Nikon do this???

this is PURE speculation, but im thinking its because:

a) nikon will soon release a consumer FX body with the D3/D700 sensor without an AF motor (to cut weight/size/cost).

aaaaaand...

b) because nikon will release a 50/1.2G, so we get a fast 50mm no matter the tax bracket we're in (1.8G < 1.4G < 1.2G). however, due to the supposed better mtf of the 1.8G over the 1.4G, there is a chance that nikon might drop the 1.4G altogether and just have the 1.8G and 1.2G. this way, if you have another $1k burning a hole in your wallet, you can get another stop of light.:wink:

im not gonna lie, IF the 50/1.8G performs like its MTF, i wont miss the 1.4G. disappointing lens in comparison to the sigma 50...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom