New Apple cleanup?

I just got a new iBook to take on trips. I found that my 17"MacBook Pro was just to much to carry with all my other gear. The new Apple comes with all the foreign languages and printers installed on the HD. Since I will mainly be using the iBook for photo downloads while traveling, Id like to get rid of all these additional files that I'll never use.

I know that I can totally delete the HD and start over and do a special install of OSx to get rid of all the foreign lanungae stuff, but this means reinstalling CS3, etc, which I'd rather not do.

Does any one know where I can find a list of all the junk-unused-unnecessary files/folders that I can delete?

Chet

Try this:
Monolingual

DESCRIPTION
Monolingual is a program for removing unnecesary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space. It requires at least Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) and also works on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

In the big picture is it really that big a deal and worth the trouble? In terms of space, a couple hundred megabytes is just a couple dozen pictures.

If you're worried about storage, for less than a hundred dollars, you can get a high capacity (120 GB) portable USB drive that doesn't require an external power source and is small in size (like .5" x 3" x 5").

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Removing other languages could cause Mail to freeze as it did to mine. A client in Korea sent me an e-mail with some unusual Korean characters and every time Mail would retrieve that e-mail it would quit.

I had to go into the server and delete the message from there.

The very last thing I would ever monkey with on my Macs is the system. You're just asking for trouble.

Jez

I had a problem trying to load an Adobe Illustrator update as the language files had been removed. I had to wait for the next update when Adobe fixed that little issue.... :wink:

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
With the price of storage today, and the reliability it's a much better idea.

Which brings up another pint I've always tried to impress on my friends about backing up files. Of ALL the storage devices that have come and gone (Syquest, Zip, Floppies, etc.) the only device that can still be read by just about any modern computer is a hard drive.

And in the years to come I'll bet something that will come along to make DVDs and CDs obsolete too, and those hard drives will still work.

You could reinstall the OS without the extras such as languages and printer drivers, etc.

Much safer than using some script someone wrote to remove such things.

Latest threads

Top Bottom