New Apple MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by wbeem, Jun 5, 2007.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    The new Apple MacBook Pro's are now posted on the Apple store. Up to 4GB of RAM, 50% faster than my slightly older Core Duo MBP, new display, new video adapter, and now including FireWire 800 as well as 400.

Must be time to upgrade already.

2. That's cool. I will be in the market for one in about two years. I bought a hot enough PC that it will still be fine by then, but I think I have decided that my next laptop will be a Mac.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I'm sure it'll be a different beast in two years. I'm also sure it'll be better than the comparable PC's at the time.

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Oh no , looks like Connie will have to get a new baby :biggrin:

5. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Well, that made me drool. Too bad I have no money, or I'd upgrade. The LED backlight especially is interesting.

Is anybody else surprised that Apple released new lines now? I'm expecting another line before Leopard, and it's somewhat surprising that they announced them now, at least to me.

6. I will getting mine today when the Apple store opens. My wife shocked the heck out of me when she left her credit card, school id and said to go get the new MacBook Pro. God, I love that woman!

7. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Have to admit, it's tempting!! Suddenly my year-old Core Duo 15" MBP seems lacking.... LOL!!!!!

No, not surprised that Apple has just come out with this little "speed bump;" the folks on MacRumors and other places have been predicting it for a while. It is not the drastic change that some were anticipating, though, especially in the case design. The LED backlit screens were anticipated, of course Santa Rosa chip was anticipated, and there were hopes for some other changes as well. Apple is just trying to keep up with all the other laptop manufacturers at this point with regard to some things. I am still waiting for the teeny tiny little ultraportable, though -- the day that is released I'll be at the Apple store in nothing flat!

With regard to the FW800 port: I think that was made available on the 17" MBP in the last upgrade; I don't know, as I haven't looked at the specs all that carefully, whether or not it is also available on the new 15" MPB now as well.... If so, that would definitely perk my interest even more in this newest MBP....

8. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    the 17 already had support for the firewire 800 big changes is the MOB and processor now able to support 4gb ram which the older ones were limited to 3GB ram about time Intel fixed this issue, am waiting for Leopard

9. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    The last rev 15" has an firewire 800 also.

10. I am trying very hard NOT to go back to the Apple page and look at all the info and the specs.... I do NOT need a new MBP! I do NOT need a new MBP!!! I do NOT need a new MBP!!! I do NOT need a new MBP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aieeeeeeee...................

11. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I think he was talking about the C2D ones that came out towards the end of last year. They had Firewire 800.

12. I knew that the 17" C2D MBP had the FW 800, as a friend was looking at them and I checked out the specs at the time, but I wasn't sure about the 15" MBP and whether or not it did. So if both the previous rev C2D MBPs offer the FW 800, that's pretty much a given that the new ones will, too. Ah.....

13. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Yep, and I have one. So no need to check the specs :smile:.

14. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    That is what I have now. Quite the computer. While this new line is faster, most of the other improvements are in areas I don't use. That, and I don't have the money.

15. For me, IF I were to upgrade from my 15" Core Duo, the appeal of the newest revision would be (1) ability to add more RAM; (2) that FW 800 port; (3) the fact that the case design remains the same so that I would still be able to use my current laptop bags; (4) the increase in speed.....

Of course I'll have to go over to the Apple store for a look at them before making any decisions, though, as I would want to see what this new backlit LED screen looks like.

Chances are that I will sit out this speed bump, too, though.... my current machine IS only a year old!

16. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Need? Who gives for need? This is about wanton desire. This is about a 15" MacBook Pro with a 200 GB hard drive!

17. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    By all rights, I wouldn't get the 200GB HD. 4200 RPM isn't really enough for a main harddrive. 5400 is barely enough as it is.

18. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Lack of funds never stands in the way of progress. Just look at our government for proof.

My Core Duo 15" MBP recently turned 1 year old. I know, because my ProCare just expired the day before I needed it, and the Apple (supposed) Genius I needed to help me had the day off.

Now in technology terms, this computer is a grandpa. It's a couple of revs behind. The new models claim to be 50% faster than mine. The hard drive is twice as large. The RAM capacity is twice as large. I'm waiting for my MacBook Pro to get its invitation to join AARP as we speak.

Worse, my iMac 20" is a G5 with no iSight. I tell you, I'm outdated. Who cares if these things are still useful. Gotta get with the program and keep up or die trying.

Money? I care not for money. That's why we invented the term "debt."

19. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Well if we're going with that logic I'm definitely getting a 200-400mm to go with a new Mac :smile:.

20. LOL, Bill! Yep, I've got an antique G5 rev B sitting in the other room and a creaky old 15" MBP Core Duo just over a year old sitting on the table behind me.... tsk, tsk!!!! Of course i must take steps to resolve this situation pronto!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Funny thing about them, though: because they're Apple Macintosh products they are both working JUST FINE!!! LOL!

Yep, it's all about "want" rather than "need...."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.