New Arrivals

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jose Suro, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Went to Ft. De Soto again this morning and was greeted by hummingbirds arriving from down south. I had never shot hummingbirds before. All of these were shot in the wild - no fancy light setup or feeder. The second one is a female. I shot these at ISO 400, Flash set at -1.00 EV and 1/1000 second @ F5.6 exposure. Oh, and another shot of the Summer Tanager at the end.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

143416231-O.

143419019-O.

143425801-O.

143439987-O.

2. Wonderful as usual. Never shot a hummingbird myself. Looking forward to finding one someday. :)

3. jimmyc1000

jimmyc1000

Jun 14, 2006
    Awesome shots. I especially like #1 and #3. I can't wait to try my hand at hummingbirds when the weather gets better.

4. Beautifuls shots,exceptionally nice given no external light source, as usual Jose. I've just got to back there.

Louie

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images

Tad over sat

6. jamesf01

jamesf01

Feb 20, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Great shots!!! Which Lens did you use????

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Terrific shots Jose.

8. Great shots... though the wings seem slightly out of focus! :biggrin:

9. Thanks so much Gale. The images in the viewfinder were that saturated. This is the problem with digital cameras, they are normally sooo "forensic". Luck being on our side, Nikon has seen to that and if you set your camera to Adobe RGB color space, with the color mode set to Mode III (landscapes) and use Capture NX, then its all WYSIWYG. I also use Fred Miranda's Velvia Vision in Photoshop but never use the enhancement at more than 33% out of 100% - Capture NX and the camera settings are that good. Tell you the truth, the Velvia Vision settings for these images was more like 16% - barely noticeable. Flash though adds a little bit of saturation because it bumps up the available light and I did use that, albeit at a very reduced rate as well.

Thanks again!

Jose

10. A single word Stunning!!!!

11. Nice, REALLY nice, gotta love them hummers.

While everyone else is commenting on the hummers, let me say that the Tanager is stunning, the red is vibrant. This is one we don't see around our parts.

12. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Beautiful!

What is the shutter speed to stop a humming bird's wing:confused:

13. These are beautiful Jose!

Anthony

14. Nice Jose. Your's turnrd out much better than mine. Well done.

15. Thanks James! 300/F4 + 1.4xTC

Best,

Jose

16. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I would trade you every backyard bird I have for one chance at that Tanager. Another excellent series!

17. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Beautiful set, Jose.

18. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal

Ditto, wow thats some nice work

19. Thanks all! I always appreciate the kind comments, as well as the constructive critcism. This is a great site and I very much appreciate your support.

Best,

Jose

20. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Great shots Jose!!! For never shooting them in the wild, you sure made some pro's look bad! :wink:

Bill