New backdrop

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    My new backdrops and stand came today--hooray. Plus I got the trigger that will allow me to use my other two lights.

Jaden and I put the backdrop holder together. I put on a backdrop. Even though I haven't steamed it yet, Jaden wanted me to take his picture. His hair was a mess and his face was dirty. His shirt was the same color as the backdrop. But with a little photoshop work, the photo doesn't look half bad. I think the gray backdrop will be fun as I can easily change the tint of it in photoshop.

I used the 70-200 and was pleased with the results.

original.

2. Terri, that's beautiful!

Can you tell me how you have your lights set up? I really like the ratio between the key and fill...

Which backdrop / stand did you end up going with?

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks John!
    My lights aren't that flexible. There are two positions 100/100 or 150/30. I used the 150/30 setting. Each were at a fairly equal distance to the subject. I used a light shining on the back of the subject set at -1.5 stops from the key and fill. I really didn't take much time to set up as I was just trying to see if the sync trigger would work on the second control panel.

Hope this makes sense.

I bought the following items.

http://www.adorama.com/PFBDSK.html

http://www.adorama.com/BD520L.html

http://www.adorama.com/BD522L.html

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thats a great shot...great background...great kid...but where's the hair gel?

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Well dirty clothes, dirty face, and messy hair are his usual attire. He is all boy and gets into mischief all day long!

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I've been missing that little guy...thanks for posting a current pic of him!

Nothing wrong w/a kid who has a dirty face...mine had dirty faces today after a trip to Dairy Queen (soft serve chocolate ice cream cones!!)

7. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I would be more than pleased with this type of result. A wonderful capture of adorable Jaden! I like your lighting too.

8. Very nice Terri. I notice the background is blurred and I like that so much better than having it be part of the photo like a lot of the stuff I've posted lately... gotta remember to do that...

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hope you are holding up with your big weekend! I bet you folks have a lot of fun.

It has been so much fun for me to have Jaden live with us for the past five weeks. He has been my little buddy. I've really taken a lot of photos of him, just haven't posted them. I've decided one thing, little boys sure are busy.... You'll have your hands full with three of them. Amber and I have worked full time taking care of the twins and Jaden. Of course, twins are so much work. Before they were born Amber would have people who have twins tell her that they felt sorry for her for the first couple of years. She would get mad and say, "I'm going to have a positive attitude and make it wonderful." Well yesterday she admitted that it has been much harder than she ever thought it would be. We try to enjoy all the good minutes, but there are so many hours when both are fussy, it does get really hard at times. But it is worth all the work and frustration. They are so sweet. I'll keep helping her as much as she wants me to.

Have a great weekend.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Banhup,
    Coming from you, I take this as a real compliment. I'm having fun experimenting with my lights. I wish I knew how to do natural light like you do. Do you give online lessons?:biggrin:

Thank you so much.

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Brian,
    I moved Jaden several feet away from the backdrop. Then I used my 70-200 at 140mm, f10 1/200. It seemed to work well to get the backdrop blurred.

The lights were placed close to him. I didn't want to light up the backdrop.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very very nice
    Excellent portrait:>)))

13. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    You are most welcome Terri. Giving on-line lessons? I am truly honoured that you think I am good enough for that. I thank you for that. :redface:

14. What a cute kiddo and a great portrait. Nice job, Terri, with your new setup.

15. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Well done, Terri! It looks great - cute kid too!

16. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool: You did it like it should've been done. Good work. I would imagine that you didn't need f/10 either as you could filter (ND) your heads or move them back. I would guess that f/5.6 would work too. then the background would really be blurred. Anyway it is good work.
    bsvirginian

17. Very nice Terri.

New toys are fun aren't they!

18. Great picture Terri, thanks for sharing this as well as your new purchases. Congratulations and we look forward to many more good images from you.

19. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    how cute!!!

you're captures are fabulous...I've always been a fan since I joined the cafe!

have fun with the new backdrop!

20. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    It's so hard to believe that this is the same "baby" with the enormous blue eyes that you posted in the bathtub just a little under a year ago. Boy time flies and they grow so fast.....as you are all too well aware.

You are doing great work......photo's for the family to treasure.