New bag - suggestions?

Hi

I now need to carry more lenses at the same time than I needed before and I need a new bag. I'm in a bit of a dillema but would also like to get some suggestions for bags.

One option is to get a bag that will carry all the lenses (plus the camera), but this has some disdvantages (such as needing a bigger bag).

The lenses I need to take in a bag are three relatively small primes (biggest being about 10cm long) and a 70-300. In reality I will need either the three primes or the 70-300 plus probably only one prime (if any). So I'm leaning towards a bag that will fit either option and probably not all of them.

With the exception of the 70-300 lens, I prefer to store the lens hoods seperately, which means a bit more space. I also need a bit of spare room for a few small acceorries (extra battery, charger and some other random things).

What I'm really looking for is a bag that I can carry both as a backpack and as a shoulder bag. The former when walking with it, etc. and the latter while using it, changing lenses, etc.
Is there such a bag?

I'm not so familiar with all the companies but Lowepro is definitely the most popular here. I have two Lowepro bags and they are pretty good, but they have some issues I'm not crazy about...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If I go small and light, I'm taking a sling bag or shoulder bag - I choose different ones for different situation (and what I need to carry), but there is only so much weight that you can carry on one shoulder. I use backpacks or fanny packs when I need to carry heavier, larger lenses, or a lot of gear.
If you are just carrying 3 primes, look at shoulder bags like Think Tank or Crumpler. If you don't want a shoulder bag, look at Lowepro slings. I use my 202AW the most, followed by a Crumpler 5MDH and 7MDH.
My method of selecting bags over time has been to buy good deals on bags and try them - if I don't like them, I sell them. I've found that I can't have too many bags.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I need only the camera with one or two lenses, I already have a shoulder bag for that. Actually it is a Lowepro Nova (which has some issues) and I have two of them. I want to replace one with a backpack (and if it can also be carried as a shoulder bag that's an advantage). I can carry a lot of weight on one shoulder... but that doesn't mean I want to :)

I have been using a LowePro Passport Sling on my trip to Costa Rica the past week. It has worked well with the Fuji X10 and X-E1 with a couple of lens. The bag has worked better than I thought, and has been comfortable to carry.

If I need only the camera with one or two lenses, I already have a shoulder bag for that. Actually it is a Lowepro Nova (which has some issues) and I have two of them. I want to replace one with a backpack (and if it can also be carried as a shoulder bag that's an advantage). I can carry a lot of weight on one shoulder... but that doesn't mean I want to :)
Take a look at the Lowepro Fastpack's then. It's a backpack that holds a good amount, but spins around like a sling.

Think Tank has a varied selection, but asking a backpack to serve as a shoulder bag too, I am not sure how that would work. Maybe, I dunno. I have older generation TT, but I have 4 Think Tank backpacks, and they have all been great. Truthfully, at this point, I can't say I need them all. I may sell some eventually. But I am not sure I will sell either of my smaller ones. I tend to use those more. Their web site is ThinkTankPhoto.com thinktank.com is something else...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just wondering, is this fake? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Lowepro-...4?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item33813982ac

I'm not crazy about the overpriced "names" for some of these bags, but I don't want to support stealing brand names either.

I'm more familiar with musical instrument cases and I once bought an identical case from the maker of a certain brand name. It was pretty much identical but without a name written on it and it was a lot cheaper just because of that (all legal BTW). So I know the names can add a lot to the price.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom