1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Billy Mays commercial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LSUDVM, Jul 26, 2009.

1. I still can't believe he passed, I love is commercials and I loved the show, Pitchmen.

2. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Just shows that you never know.

3. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Did anyone ever figure out what caused his death. Last I heard, there was speculation that hitting his head on an airplane may have been the beginning of the end.

~Chad

4. Nooooo! Fingers in ears. Nnananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananannanananananananananan! :m68: :669: :actions1: :m09:

The cafe should be safe from Billy.:smile:

He was very annoying, we will both run for the mute button when he comes on, but I did see him in a better light after seeing one or two pitchmen.

I really think it is pretty shabby to still use his commercials, I wonder how much say the family has in the matter. Oh I forgot $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rules

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  5. No that wasnt it they said. He had heart problems and finally they just gave up. An average male heart is like 12 ounces. Mays was 17. Thats a bit of a problem

6. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Always thought he was annoying, until I saw the Pitchman program, liked it. Since his death, one of the people in the office has his "Hi, I'm Billy Mays" as his voice mail announcement. That's starting to get annoying....

7. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    If he was doing what he LOVED to do, why wouldn't the family want it run regardless if it is money or not?

If you were commissioned to do a photo shoot, would you want the final product not be seen just because you died?

8. Couldn't agree more.Thanks for stating the obvious!

9. Hey!! I am behind the camera, not rolling into my brothers den during supper, to remind all that I am dead.

A Lawyer said
    "Roger Pliakas, who represents Mays Promotions Inc., told the Times the late pitchman would likely have wanted his final works to be seen by the public.

"Billy didn't shoot the commercials for them not to air," Pliakas said. "He shot commercials to roll the products out and make money for his business partners."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

10. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    What does being behind the camera have to do with it? Being a pitchman was his job!

People are employed to engineer the product,make the product, sell it, and distribute it. Plus, it is a big break for the person who invented the product.You don't have to buy it. What is wrong with making money? Mays worked to make money for his family and his business partners. Why would that change after his death?

11. You made the example of me taking pics, I am not in the pic. Mays is. Seems like It would be affront to his family, unless they also see $$ signs each time he magically reappears from the dead to annoy folks.

12. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    It doesn't matter if you are in front of the camera or behind it, it's the job you are paid to do that is the issue.

Mays seemed like an honest and honorable business man who made sure his clients and business partners were taken care of. His business partners would lose out money they invested in the commercials. A product launch like this was built around May's personality. If an actor dies, they don't scrap the movie.

It seems to me you have a problem with people actually profiting from Mays, which was his job when he was alive. Again, what is wrong with making money?

13. Personally, I hated his commercials, I would always and still will hit mute when he comes on, I am so stubborn, that I will not purchase any products he hawked. As a person though, from what I have read, he was a wonderful husband, father, and generally an all around good guy. He apparently gave a lot to charities, and really cared for his fellow man. For that he will be missed, but for his commercials, lets just say the mute button will be doing a lot less work.

14. I agree, he did seem like a nice guy in the pitchmen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  15. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    Billy Mays was great at what he did. look here... we are on a nikon forum discussing him and his commercials. He drew attention to the products. Although he may have ruined the show you were watching... he was probably the most recognizable commercial personality of his time

16. I love his Oxy Clean commercials. May he rest in peace..

17. Same here. I'm more annoyed when a handful of channels cranks the normal program audio level down and the ads up. Billy had an odd "loud" delivery, but it wasn't any louder than anything else (particularly that awful Geico ad they insist on blaring at me several times an hour).

By the by, they're not just airing his new ads. A few days after he died I saw one of the old ads running at night.

18. What? :confused: 

Big deal if they profit from his hard work. Do you have a pension that your family rates if you die?

SO because he annoyed you and is now dead, it's wrong?

How many dead actors do we still see on TV or dead musicians on the radio?

And the families that own those rights still profit from the deceased persons work.

19. I'm with you there. Apparently there's a new feature coming on the latest generation of TVs which equalizes the volume of everything. We have Cox cable and just about every commercial is noticeably louder..annoyingly so. With cable they could already do that function if they wanted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.