1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Body?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by GeoffByrne, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Hey, I was wondering what kind of body would be best for one to get. The price range would be around 600CAD. I might be able to spare a little more.

I hope this is the right spot to post this.

Geoff

2. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    If you can wait until the first week of September then the D3000 w/ 18-55 VR lens will fit your budget but if you want now, you can get the D60 w/ 18-55 VR.

3. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Depends what kinda of pictures you like to take. I would suggest getting a D40 w/ 18-55 kit lens. Buy the 55-200vr and an SB-600.

4. I have a D40x now.
    I guess I should have specified that in the first place.
    I am into sports photog and landscapes.
    Although I am trying to do some portrait, if I can ever afford to get some Bees and whatnot.

5. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Ok haha. Are you looking for faster FPS?

6. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    For $600 CAD, I don't think you can find something that's an upgrade from your D40X. I would probably suggest spending it on a SB600, 35mm 1.8 lens and something else like a SU-800 which are all still within your budget.

7. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    +1.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The D40x is fine. What lenses do you have?

9. I have a 70-300mm G lens. Which is the main reason I would like a body to use it with..
    And I have the kit lens.

What is this D3000 that was spoken about earlier in this thread?

And yes, I am looking for something with faster FPS. What is the cheapest step up from what I have then?

10. Geoff,

The D3000 is the new replacement for the D40, if you visit www.nikon.ca you can check out the specs. It's only 3 fps though. If you want faster, you'll have to spend a bit more.

If you're visiting Halifax soon, you might be able to do a trade in with your D40 at Henry's, not sure how much you would get. That is if you do want to sell the D40x.

11. A.O.M.E.

A.O.M.E.

Feb 1, 2009
    Chicago
    Maybe a used D200 for sports?

12. I do intend on selling the d40x, as soon as I can get a good estimate as to what its worth along with the kit lens and everything else it came with.
    I will have to check that D3000.
    Will it still need AF-S lens' like the D40, D60 and D40x?

Going price used for the body?

13. A.O.M.E.

A.O.M.E.

Feb 1, 2009
    Chicago
    Oh, I don't know in CDN... around here it's anywhere from $500-800 so I assume it's about the same there (if a few bucks higher). It should just meet your price limit, although I have to say I only got those numbers from a quick check on Craigslist--I'm sure with a bit of digging you could find a much better price.

The D3000, like the D5000/D40/D60 before it, lacks an in-body motor. I think it's a lateral move from the D40x... and if I remember the D40x also shoots at 3fps so no upgrade at all unless you really need that new AF system dumped in from the D90 (which is useless without AF-S lenses anyway).

14. I don't get what you are saying?
    Are you saying the D200 has no in body AF?

Alright, I might have to check out one of those.

I am kind of disappointed though that the D3000 lacks the in-body motor, why would they do that?

15. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    D200 has a motor.

As for the D3000, it will replace the D40 and I agree with you that it's a bit disappointing without the motor. Also, why go back to the noisy CCD sensor and not that I care much but where's the live view? It seems every new entry level slr nowadays has one.

I guess the only advantage of the D3000 over the D40 is it has sensor cleaning and 11 af points.

Goodluck with your decision!

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I personally would get some nicer lenses first - as in a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D used. Probably a stretch on your budget, but worth it. You wouldn't have autofocus, but for field sports and the electronic focus assist built into the camera it'd probably do a great job. Even better, look for a used push-pull (one-touch) version of that lens since it'll let you zoom and focus at the same time. Eventually you'll upgrade to a body that will support AF on it anyways. The pro level nikon telephoto lenses are amazing. They'll give you incredibly nice images and the extra speed will let you shoot at faster shutter speeds and lower ISOs to make it even better. The ability to yank backgrounds out of focus is great too, and a lens like this is also fast enough to use for indoor sports.

17. If you have the D40x, you have no need to uprgrade to anything else thats in your price range right now. I agree with most others that posted, in my opinion either buy some new glass. maybe something pretty fast like a 50mm f/1.4, and a 35mm f/1.8.

Or invest in a couple strobes and maybe PWs, Alien Bees, Ebay triggers, or a SU800.

Or save that money until you can uprgrade to a good body like a D90, or D300.

18. Geoff, if I was in your situation, I would wait for about 2-3 more months when the D300s and D3000 are released... THEN look at the used market for a used D200 or even a D300. The D200's going price now is around $700 used, and in a few months, the D300 can be in this very same position. The difference between your D40x and the D300 is staggering, as in night and day. The faster FPS will help you tremendously when it comes to shooting sports.

That would be my advice.

19. Thanks for the advice fellas.
    Maybe I will invest in a 50mm 1.8.

And then wait a couple months until the D300s comes out and see if the used market value of the D200 or even D300 drops enough for me to afford it.

20. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Any faster than 3fps and you are looking at the X00 level cameras which are 6-8FPS. I am looking at picking up a D300 perhaps in just a little while with the 300s comes out. If the price drop is significant I will probably jump for one.

I would not go from D40x>D3000 I think you will be disappointed in the new camera, as it would be like going from 2008 honda accord to 2009 model. The changes are not life altering.

If you want to jump bodies soon, I would say pack a few bucks away every week and snag a d200/d300. The 300 should drop under 1k in the next few months, and that is an awesome camera.

Daniel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.