New body.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Mike's D50, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Mike's D50

Mike's D50

Jul 16, 2006
    I was wondering if I was to get a second body what it should be. I am kinda on a tight budget, so I can get like a D200 or anything, but I would like something to compliment my D50. I was wondering is the D100 a step up enough from my D50 to even bother with? What are my options here? I am gonna look for used D1h cameras but I don't even know if that is a big enough step up.

Thanks for the help.

2. if you like D50, get a D50 - it will compare well to your D50; great cameras

3. Mike's D50

Mike's D50

Jul 16, 2006
    The one thing that I do not like about my D50 is that I have rather large hands and I like a bigger camera (I LOVE the feel of a D200) so I figured a d100 would be close. If I can strike some photography deals up and actually get some kind of money out of the whole deal I will just save up and sell my D50 for a D200.

4. You haven't mentioned the kind of photos you take most often. Besides the size of the D50, what other issues do you have with the D50? Perhaps stepping up to some f/2.8 lenses is a better option than getting a new camera? Just my 2 cents.

5. Ditto has a good point there.

It also sounds like you are bouncing around here and there JUST WANTING to get a second camera. You have not mentioned your shooting style or why you are wanting another camera. Go to DPreview and do a side by side comparison and figure out what features you are after. The D1H is a 2.7 mp camera and your D50 is a 6mp, thats not bad, but how big will you be printing? D1H, fast focus acquisition. You are using SD cards, you will need to buy CF cards if you change to any of the others you mentioned which is no biggie, but it is more convenient having the same type.

The D50 is an excellant high ISO camera, a very good feature.

As far as the D100, if you like the feel of the D200, you will like the feel of the D100.

I had a D50 and switched to a D100 for numerous personal reasons, one being it is very similar to my D200 as far as ergonomics: size and feel, same type of recording media, front and rear command dial (a biggie to me).

I personally use my D100 and D200 for two totally different applications.

CIOCC has a good point to, depending on what type of glass you have, you may want to pick up some nice glass. The D50 is a very good and capable of getting some nice photos.

You asked, don't wear your feelings on your shirt sleeve, I see to many threads that people come back with a "arrrrgh". Hope this helps, YMMV.

6. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I'd consider a D1h, it is everything your D50 isn't: Big, heavy, and the AF and FPS will both be a big step up from what you have now. It is a lot of fun to use. To me the only real issue with the D1h (as long as you are OK with 2.7 MP) is the batteries, they are also big and heavy and you'll need several.

7. Mike's D50

Mike's D50

Jul 16, 2006
    Thanks for the helpful input people.

What I shoot is usually Dirtbike events (in the woods and on a motocross track), drag racing, and car shows. I also like to take pics of animals and other assorted things. Sometimes I just like to shoot surroundings whether I'm going on a trip or just walking around outside. I do need some more glass. I really want a fisheye lens but it is too much money for me. I was looking into the 18-200mm VR and it looks nice but some people tell me its just an average lens and the price is just higher on it because it has a wide range zoom. Maybe I should pick up a macro lens first and shoot some flowers and insects and such.

The thing I also like about the D1h is the vertical grip and the large body but I guess you can accomplish such with a D100 and an MB-D100. I do like the sound of high FPS and improved AF but I have to think about the lower resolution.

So I guess I will look into some glass and see what route I want to go.

Thanks for the great input and thanks for your time.

8. Seems like you shoot a lot of action, D1h no doubt

NO! Never think the add-on grip feels the same as the built-in grip. There's a reason the pro bodies have them integrated and it's not to save Nikon or the pros money. The D1/D2 bodies has such nice balance to me that makes me forget the weight compared to my old D70 or my D200. My D200 + grip is ok for what it is, but pick up a D1/D2 and use the vertical grip and you shall know the truth.