New Camera...?

So I haven’t been around these parts in quite a few years. I can’t believe just how long it’s actually been. LOL. Still have a love for photography. Put my small photography business on the shelf the last few years due to family obligations, and new hobbies that take up a lot of my time.
So I’m thinking of jumping back in as I’ve been getting the itch to start shooting some photos again. Still have my D3S and D700 combo. Looking at the D850 and just not sure if that’s suited for my needs. When I was working I was shooting mostly concerts, parties, events, sweet 16s, and youth sports. Not sure how this camera would fair for what I shoot. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I know I don’t need the upgrade. Not 100% sure I’m even going to. Just thinking about it right now hoping that the new gear will really stoke the fire again.
Thanks in advance.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Do you have existing Nikon lenses you want to keep using? Which ones? I ask because if you are contemplating new glass, then perhaps mirrorless would be the way to go.

I have the D850 and D5 and there really isn't anything I cannot shoot. Both are available used these days and I wouldn't hesitate to grab one or both! LOL!

If you are going to shoot a lot of low light events, perhaps the D750??? I don't know much about it, but think it is a nice low light body.

I still have my trilogy lenses. Is the D850 not good in low light? Especially for concerts.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I still have my trilogy lenses. Is the D850 not good in low light? Especially for concerts.
The advent of really, really good NR software is a significant advantage these days. For wildlife, I now shoot Auto ISO and don't even worry about high ISO's because the s/w is so good at minimizing noise while preserving details. Check out this image... Either DxO Elite Prime NR or Topaz DeNoise AI are highly regarded NR software packages.

_8502367_DxO-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and this one...
_KD53130_DN_Ai-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't shoot concerts or clubs, so I'll let others address those venues......

Joe!!! Welcome back. Are your kids all grown up by now?

Your D700 is still quite capable. The D850 would be a natural upgrade. You would not be disappointed.
Hey Mitchell. How are you? Hope all is well with you and your family. My son is gonna be 16 and my daughter just turned 13... amazing how fast time flies!!!!

Been lurking from time to time. Lol

Just did a couple of jobs so now my interest is back and I realize how much I miss my cameras!!! LOL

D750 and D850 are both about equally good in low light. The advantage of the D750 is lower price. It has been popular with wedding photographers who don't want to deal with the large file sizes (46Mpix vs. 24Mpix).

Do you feel you need 46Mpix for what you shoot? I have a D850 but I shoot lots of wildlife and do quite a bit of cropping. The files are quite large. If you like your D3s you'll LOVE the D5.
Not so much that I feel the need for an upgrade as opposed to feeling that I'll will get more inspiration to go out and start shooting again with new gear. I'm actually pretty excited bout it. Haven't felt like this when it comes to shooting photos for quite awhile. Getting a new and faster computer to edit with definitely helps as well!!! LOL

The advent of really, really good NR software is a significant advantage these days. For wildlife, I now shoot Auto ISO and don't even worry about high ISO's because the s/w is so good at minimizing noise while preserving details. Check out this image... Either DxO Elite Prime NR or Topaz DeNoise AI are highly regarded NR software packages.

View attachment 1678774

and this one...
View attachment 1678775

I don't shoot concerts or clubs, so I'll let others address those venues......
Beautiful photos!!! And great subjects as well!!

the D3S and D700 are still great bodies. When you get to where there's something you can't shoot well because of the camera then investigate to upgrade
Hey Randy how are you brother? Yes you're right. I think I'm just looking for an excuse!! LOL

D750 and D850 are both about equally good in low light. The advantage of the D750 is lower price. It has been popular with wedding photographers who don't want to deal with the large file sizes (46Mpix vs. 24Mpix).
Very good point. The 750 might be the better way for me to go. I need to look into both options.

I ended up going with the D750. I think 24 MP will be more than enough for the majority of what I shoot.

Sometimes I need new gear to get the juices going again.
Lenses can do more to change your work than a new camera body at this point.
Given that, no equipment I buy anymore makes my photography any better or any more interesting.
I really wish it would.
On the other hand, spending the same money on books or travel more commonly improves my prints.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom