new collar for Nikon 300 F4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by urbanek2, Jul 28, 2007.

1. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Greetings:

Looks like Nikon 300 F4 will get the buy now button pushed this week. I've read previously that a new collar may be necessary for mounting on a monopad. Any comments or suggestions on a collar/monopod setup?

Dave

2. I bought the KIRK collar, very solidly built.

3. Ditto on Kirk. Very solid, just put it on and leave it there. Costs about $150. There's always the wine cork trick for a lot less money - just find the right sized cork and wedge it between the barrel and the foot but it has to be re-positoned every time you rotate the collar. It's a far less elegant solution but total cost is about $.25.

4. I'll second Larry's cork idea by recommending a visit to your local Home Depot: buy a #9 cork stopper, tapered, in the fasteners aisle.

Works very well, no need for trimming, and easily replaceable . . .

Eric

5. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Seems like the Kirk collar will be an excellent investment.

Dave

6. I tend to agree, Dave. The cork was fun to play with for a day but it's gets tired fast. Kirk is a good investment.

7. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I'm not sure I undertand the weak part of the nikon collar. I s it that it does not grip tightly around the barrel allowing the collar to rotate?