new collar for Nikon 300 F4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by urbanek2, Jul 28, 2007.

1. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Greetings:

Looks like Nikon 300 F4 will get the buy now button pushed this week. I've read previously that a new collar may be necessary for mounting on a monopad. Any comments or suggestions on a collar/monopod setup?

Dave

2. I bought the KIRK collar, very solidly built.

3. Ditto on Kirk. Very solid, just put it on and leave it there. Costs about $150. There's always the wine cork trick for a lot less money - just find the right sized cork and wedge it between the barrel and the foot but it has to be re-positoned every time you rotate the collar. It's a far less elegant solution but total cost is about $.25.

4. I'll second Larry's cork idea by recommending a visit to your local Home Depot: buy a #9 cork stopper, tapered, in the fasteners aisle.

Works very well, no need for trimming, and easily replaceable . . .

Eric

5. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Seems like the Kirk collar will be an excellent investment.

Dave

6. I tend to agree, Dave. The cork was fun to play with for a day but it's gets tired fast. Kirk is a good investment.

7. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I'm not sure I undertand the weak part of the nikon collar. I s it that it does not grip tightly around the barrel allowing the collar to rotate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.