New color grading coming to Adobe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Capture One has a Color Balance tool and Color Editor tool that allow this, and you can use them in layers with layer masks to apply them selectively in your image vs globally if you like.
Photoshop has also had this capability quite awhile. The news is that the advanced capabilities of color grading are coming to Lightroom and ACR for the first time.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Photoshop has also had this capability quite awhile. The news is that the advanced capabilities of color grading are coming to Lightroom and ACR for the first time.
I see a lot of people coming over to Capture One from LR and it must be eating at Adobe's Lightroom user base. Lots of people are using CO + Affinity Photo and divorcing themselves from Adobe. I wonder whether Adobe has felt some pressure to add some more features like this into LR to keep it more competitive. Regardless of the motivation this is a great benefit for Adobe Lightroom users and I applaud Adobe for adding it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see a lot of people coming over to Capture One from LR and it must be eating at Adobe's Lightroom user base. Lots of people are using CO + Affinity Photo and divorcing themselves from Adobe. I wonder whether Adobe has felt some pressure to add some more features like this into LR to keep it more competitive. Regardless of the motivation this is a great benefit for Adobe Lightroom users and I applaud Adobe for adding it.
People who leave the Adobe ecosystem are far more vocal about it than people who join it or people who join the Capture One ecosystem having come from non-Adobe products. The result is that it's easy to be misled into thinking Adobe is in trouble. Just the opposite, last year was a record year for Adobe with 25% growth in revenue to over $11 billion. I've never looked up their market share for photo-editing applications, which can only be estimated by industry analysts that have information about the privately held and open source companies. I've gotta believe none of those privately held companies have anywhere near close to Adobe's revenue; otherwise, they would have gone public.

Hopefully Adobe always feels pressure from its competitors; that's good for itself, its competitors, and especially all users. Adobe's massive revenue indicates that they've been doing a pretty good job over long periods of time of keeping up with and beating the competition. A company isn't able to do that over long periods of time unless they're reasonably meeting the needs of the industry's users compared to their competitors.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
People who leave the Adobe ecosystem are far more vocal about it than people who join it or people who join the Capture One ecosystem having come from non-Adobe products. The result is that it's easy to be misled into thinking Adobe is in trouble. Just the opposite, last year was a record year for Adobe with 25% growth in revenue to over $11 billion. I've never looked up their market share for photo-editing applications, which can only be estimated by industry analysts that have information about the privately held and open source companies. I've gotta believe none of those privately held companies have anywhere near close to Adobe's revenue; otherwise, they would have gone public.

Hopefully Adobe always feels pressure from its competitors; that's good for itself, its competitors, and especially all users. Adobe's massive revenue indicates that they've been doing a pretty good job over long periods of time of keeping up with and beating the competition. A company isn't able to do that over long periods of time unless they're reasonably meeting the needs of the industry's users compared to their competitors.
I agree Mike that there is no denying Adobe's place at the top in market share. They have an entire suite of products beyond photography. Affinity has been nibbling at those other products with their Designer and Publisher products, but yes Adobe is still the top dog. Their strong revenues are a sure sign that all of their products are well established and hailed for their capabilities. It is also obvious that moving to a subscription-only model has not harmed them in any way. In fact I would argue it is the very source of the incredible revenue growth. With their prior persistent license model you had cycles of revenue based around major upgrades.

There are other benefits to the subscription model. With a steady revenue stream of subscriptions a company can much more easily plan product road maps. It fits very well with the Agile and DevSecOps software development practices for continuous development, integration, and deployment. A company can establish a very regular cadence for their development teams, marketing departments, brand ambassadors, etc.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom