New compact fixed lens camera (Image heavy)

I have been looking for a compact camera to carry around with me, particularly when birding. I tried the Olympus TG-6, and although it ticked most of the boxes, it fell short in a couple of areas for what I wanted. I sold it not long afterwards. Last week I purchased a Fuji X100V, this is my first fixed lens compact camera. For native orchids and fungi I usually use a camera with macro lens, mounted on a tripod, and figured it would be nice to have a compact handy for those times where the macro lens is a bit long for general shots while out on a walk. I must admit, photos I take with my mobile, particularly of small subjects are not good! :(

On the weekend I took only the Fuji with me to one of our local reserves. I left the macro setup at home. Here are a some of the images I managed to get using the Fuji handheld.

#1 One of the paths
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Another path through the reserve

#3 A patch of Nodding Greenhoods

#4 Nodding Greenhood

#4 Veined Helmet Orchid

#5 A patch of Veined Helmet Orchids giving some perspective of how small many of these orchids are.

#6 Pelican Orchid

#7 Mayfly Orchid in bud. Should be open in the next couple of weeks.

#8 Dwarf Greenhood

#9 Tall Greenhood

#10 Maroonhood

#11 Trim Greenhood

It is very helpful to see these tiny orchids in their environment, so my wife and I particularly appreciated photos 1,2 3, and 5. The nicely detailed closeups help us visualize orchids we have never seen.

We have traveled to Turkey, South Africa, and the Gargano Peninsula of Italy to photograph native wildflowers, especially tiny orchids, but yours are unique.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Delightful set of images! That little Fugi seems to be up to the task!
Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it does for close-up.

It is very helpful to see these tiny orchids in their environment, so my wife and I particularly appreciated photos 1,2 3, and 5. The nicely detailed closeups help us visualize orchids we have never seen.

We have traveled to Turkey, South Africa, and the Gargano Peninsula of Italy to photograph native wildflowers, especially tiny orchids, but yours are unique.
I also enjoy seeing environmental images, which is why I decided to take a small camera with me on my walks. Like the macro setup I use, it is easy to geotag the files.

We're in winter here at the moment. The Helmet orchids and Greenhoods are great, and provide us with the challenges of finding and photographing the orchids. As we move into spring and summer the lovely colourful ones start to flower. Unfortunately with Covid-19 restrictions my wings have been clipped for venturing further afield. It basically means I will miss many of the orchids this season which don't flower within 5km of home, but there is always next season.

First day of stage 4 restrictions. We're allowed out for 1hr of exercise, so I took my little Fuji along for the walk.

I like all of these and they have increased my interest in the X100V. I want something to replace my Panasonic LX100 as a carry-everywhere camera and this might be it. Trouble is I did try an earlier model, the X100T, and ended up giving it to my son because, at the time, I felt the fixed lens was limiting. In truth, I don't think I gave it a fair crack, so I'm ready to consider again. I'm also looking at Sony RX1R and RX1R2 and Leica Q, but I would have to sell for these to retain some semblance of "budget responsibility." Or there's the Z50...

PS The full frame candidates would definitely be second hand purchases.

Thank you!

I gave up years ago trying to find a camera which was a Jack of all trades. I purchased the X100V purely as a companion camera, similar I suppose to using a single lens mobile phone (which is what I have). Unfortunately I have alot of difficulty getting small subjects in-focus with my mobile phone. Having a fixed focal length can be a challenge. I guess I've been fortunate having zoom lenses to use.
So far, and its still early days, and is a fun camera to use. It is small, and can easily fit into my jacket pocket. I have just purchased a smallish camera bag for it.

Good luck with your camera decision. I'm all about fun and simple-use these days, which is why I run three systems. :)

It has been raining all night and most of today. As we're in stage 4 restrictions this was my 1 hour exercise through a local reserve. I took the X100V along for the ride.

#5 Slaty Helmet Orchid (nearly fully open)

#5 Slaty Helmet Orchid

#6 Bull ant nest. This was taken a few days ago. There are Gnat Orchid leaves on the side of it. They should flower in a few weeks.

#7 Gnat Orchid from last season, taken with the macro setup.

It has been raining all night and most of today. As we're in stage 4 restrictions this was my 1 hour exercise through a local reserve. I took the X100V along for the ride.

View attachment 1667185

View attachment 1667186

View attachment 1667187

View attachment 1667188

#5 Slaty Helmet Orchid (nearly fully open)
View attachment 1667189

#5 Slaty Helmet Orchid
View attachment 1667190

#6 Bull ant nest. This was taken a few days ago. There are Gnat Orchid leaves on the side of it. They should flower in a few weeks.
View attachment 1667191

#7 Gnat Orchid from last season, taken with the macro setup.
View attachment 1667192
Very nice Richard. When you say "macro setup" what is involved?

Very nice Richard. When you say "macro setup" what is involved?

Thank you!

It depends on the subject, but I mostly use the inbuilt focus stacking of the Olympus EM-1 with 60mm macro lens. If the subject is a reasonable size then I will use a Fuji body with 80mm macro lens using the inbuilt focus bracketing. I generally use a tripod for focus stacks. I have tried both my Nikon Z bodies, and while they work fine, I'm not a fan of Nikon's focus shift implementation.

This is the second Slaty Helmet Orchid in the previous post using the Olympus focus stacking. I have photographed it from various angles, but this one is close to the same angle as the previous photo.

I took the little Fuji out with me on my walk this morning.

It's great to see some of the spring orchids, and weeds, are starting to show.

#1 Donkey Orchid
50220702226_f0c042f6c5_b.jpg

#2 Donkey Orchid
50220051178_2ba43149a6_b.jpg

#3 Snowdrop
50220921007_9ca5416c2f_b.jpg

#4 I thought it was a good idea at the time :)
50220051328_8281b15969_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm just about convinced.
There are a few quirks with the camera which is taking me a little time to get used to. The removing of the 4 way controller is different, as I use it on all my bodies. I'm getting used to using the joystick instead. Who knows other manufacturers may also follow this trend.

One thing I do enjoy about the Fuji's is the ease and accuracy of Geotagging the images. You even get a symbol on the screen to show the images will be geotagged.

As we're in stage 4 lockdown, I'm only allowed out for 1 hour per day, and within 5km from home. This makes going to the beach difficult as its 7km from home. It would be nice to use the camera for sunsets or sunrises, or even some street photograph, but these will need to wait until our restrictions are eased.

So I spend my limited time in one of the local flora and fauna reserves.

A few from this mornings wander...

#1 It looks like some have been setting up a small play area.
50235351572_73333c1002_b.jpg

#2 Nice to see Running Postman are in flower
50235136901_2fd5bcfc64_b.jpg

#3 Common Bird Orchid, not too long before they are in flower.
50235137246_c719d61ab8_b.jpg

Last edited:
It is a miserable, cold and wet day today. I took the Fuji out for my walk at another local reserve. I've not been to this reserve before, but I was surprised with how many birds are there. I will head back in the next couple of days with my birding setup.

It was great to see some native orchids, and fungi on my walk. The several water catchments in the reserve will be great for birding

nice images! keep safe with the Level 4 lockdown. After 3 months of level 1 wee bit of a shock to come to level 2 and in Auckland L3.

Thank you Phil!

I have been enjoying the Super Rugby, a pity the last game at Eden Park was cancelled due to the the L3 in Auckland. I'm looking forward to the North/South match on the 29th.

Out in one of the local reserves this morning with the Fuji X100V.

#1 Blue-fingers Orchid

#2 Common Bird Orchid nearly open

#3 Mayfly Orchid

I tried out the in-camera panoramic today.

You can see the water towards the right of the image. That is 2km outside my 5km from home stage 4 restrictions :(

50250835122_9c0e14a731_h.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom