1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New computer issues

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by shanelu87, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Okay, so I got my new Quad Q6600 today with P7n Platinum MSI motherboard, and 2x2GB ram. I'm running 2x500GB in RAID0, Vista 64bit Ultimate. Here's my problem.

Everything runs super quick except- the internet. Compared to my 32bit Vista Ultimate on my laptop, it crawls. Where my laptop would run circles around the same file being downloaded- ranges from 10-100x faster, the desktop is just horrendously slow.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem? I've read issues how 64bit network drivers suck but there's no real evidence to back it up. I"m running Firefox 3.0, by the way.

Any help would be useful. THanks!

2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    You are using LAN?

3. Its new, so this probably isn't the problem, but whenever I have encountered a computer that was crawling online, it was spyware in the background that was accessing pages, over and over and sucking up all the bandwidth.

4. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I dont believe firefox is a 64 bit platform. But even if it isnt, Check your download speed.

5. EssieK

EssieK Guest

It could be Windows Defender (which is default ON) that is causing this. Try turning that off. Also the 64-bit network card drivers _do suck_ big time.. check for an update or even switch to a dedicated LAN-card...

6. Sorry, but I can't help with your specific question, However, I have a few questions about your new system:

1. Are you running Capture NX2 on the new system? Some have reported problems running it with Vista64.

2. Could you share the approximate cost for your upgraded system and where you purchased it? I'm considering a similarly spec'ed system and got quotes higher than I expected. (Around $1000-$1300)

3. Did you piece your system together or did it come as one package?

4. How much Ram is in your system?

Thanks! ...and good luck with the Internet!

7. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit on my new system I built and don't have any network speed problems

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz

*shrug*

8. I guess it's just a network driver issue. THanks for everyone's help. I'll bug MSI about getting a new x64 driver out :) 

Bert, I don't run CaptureNX 2. The total for the system was $861 and that was with a wireless keyboard and mouse, but no monitor or case. I bought them separately at www.newegg.com, and the 2x2GB ram was about $80. HOpe this helps :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.