New Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F15Todd, Apr 2, 2005.

1. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    For some reason I talked myself in to getting a new computer. Didn't
    really need it, but the wife said go for it. :)

So now I'm setting up a mirrored RAID array and it's not wanting to play
    nice. :evil: So I just thought I would take a little break and get on the
    old computer and enjoy the cafe.

2. I too have a mirrored RAID array and continue to have problems. Not sure if that or my software is causing it but it hasn't been fun. When it works it is a screamer, the fastest computer I have ever used. When it locks up it is frustrating. Good luck on getting everything right.

3. Every man's dream!!! I love it when the "SHE"FO of the Daniel household says that. It's music to my ears!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. I'm using a mirrored Raid array with an MSI MB. It uses the Promise chipset on board. I've done this with two other versions of MSI and it never hickups. I'm not a geek, though...I learn just enought to stay out of trouble...so I couldn't begin to trouble shoot problems. It's just that I've had luck with MSI versus ASUS and TYAN for instance.

Rich

5. Todd, you're a jinx!

No sooner than an hour later 1/2 of my raid array went south. I have three complete backups so it's not a problem. Another crappy Western Digital!! That's the 4th bad WD drive this year. I replaced it with a Seagate 300gb, and its faster than the array! I'm never buying another WD. I won't even try to get a replacement under warranty. The WD that went last week was a replacement for a 250gb one which failed in a month last summer.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rich

6. my raid 1 took a powder weeks ago, only 6 months old. both hd's crashed. Dell sent a whole new computer after 15 hours on the phone. After this, I buy local.

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    RAID is up and working :)

But after a number of trys I can't get Capture to
    load without crashing the system. :( Good thing
    it works fine on the old Dell

8. Todd
    PM Harris he had the same problem gettign capture up and working he might have a workaround

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Mirrored raid will do nothing but speed. Its only for redundancy if you have a single disk fail. Striping on the other hand makes things a bit faster performance.

In my shop last week we had 6 MSI P4 865pe motherboards die. The Intel Southbridge actually burned up and the smoke came out.

Western Digital, or as I like to call them "Worse than Digital" I have never had any luck with. I won't sell any of the WD caviar series drives at my store. They just plain suck.

I don't like raid systems unless it is just absolutely necessary. I had to recover 3.2TB of data 2 months ago on a raid array that crashed. What a mess! I got every bit back however and that was pure luck.

10. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    RAIDs are often implemented through software (like BIOS RAIDs, for example). They usually decrease reliability. WD are pretty poor, especially if they are sealed on sides with a strip of foil. Fujitsu, Seagate Cheetah/Barracuda, IBM brands never gave me troubles. I run RAIDs, but on dedicated SCSI hardware. All attempts I know of to run software IDE/SATA RAIDs ended up with no real benefits, and often in disasters if Windows crashed. Once I tried to play cheap and installed software Vinum RAID on one of my FreeBSD boxes, and when it failed it was most unpleasant experience. I spent another $400 for hardware RAID for that box finally, as for all the gold I do not want to go through such a recovery - ever in my life.

11. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Okay I got Capture to load, but I could not get it to
    stop crashing the system until I loaded update 4.2
    now I can open Capture, but they have changed
    the produce key from one that is all letters that
    came with Capture 4.0 to one that starts with
    number. So now I'm just having to wait to hear
    from Nikon to get a new produce key.

12. My RAID was set to striping. When I lost one drive the other became unreadable. I tried each drive to see if either was usable. The one still working was not readable. Then when I put the other one on the IDE controller...BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH..the PC would no longer boot. The ferschugginer WD drive trashed my OS!>?@#>$#@!

I'm disturbed to hear about the MSI's. I have three MSI motherboards on my various computers, two of which are the 865 PEs without problems, two running continuously now for almost 6 months each. Is it possible someone was "tweeking" with the built-in overclocking in the MSI's?

I replaced all my ASUS boards one at a time as they died. My local dealer whom I swear by stopped selling ASUS over a year due to quality.
    ----
    Software-wise I have to praise Acronic's back up software. After the failure I figured I'd just lost another week-end re-building my main imaging PC. After I started reloading the applications I got a "warning" that I installed my Microsoft Office too many times and the same from Adobe about Photoshop.

I poked around and found a complete backup of C: which I made after I bought Acronis. Badda-bam I was up and running in a half hour. Let me tell you. I've tried them all...Powerquest, Ghost, etc.etc. This backup software is fool proof! Ghost is horrible, and it sucks up 20% of your drive capacity. I have a 3.0 ghz P4 with 2GB of RAM and when I used PS or NC every 8-10 seconds give or take a few the mouse pointer would stop. Task manager just said 100% resources used; idle had it all.

So...in frustration I started going through all the 45 processes in Task manager and searching for each in Google. Would you believe I found every one as a first or second hit?. The web sites explained what each was and the implications of shutting it off. I shut down Go Back and the hesitation stopped.

After I booted up my applications just started asking to load the later versions (since the original Feb 2 backup). No problems.

But PS still took forever to load (40 seconds). I tried an old package called Diskeeper....WOW! Fragment City! Using the MS defragger it would always defrag to the same spot and leave the C: drive a bit messy. I got the latest Diskeeper and started. After about a day of re-running Diskeeper every few hours I completely defragged the c: drive. Wahoo! Slick and fast as a whistle.

Another problem is Paperport, a document manager. It loads all sorts of utilities. Moved it to PC2. Also Indexing (Microsoft product in XP PRo) steals performance. I probably am preaching to the choir but in order to adequately process RAW, and now D2W RAW files especially, one has to dump almost every application to another PC to save performance.

Finally, there is a fascinating site called blackviper.com. This fellow has explicit instructions on installing XP PRO by the numbers, as well as a summary of services and which you can shut off to increase performance. He also shows how to shut off indexing as well. He is not a hacker and will not answer any questions about hacking software licenses. He is a gamer so he has researched, and explained in detail, how to wring every bit of performance form a PC.

Just my $.02 (less now, thanks to the Euro!)

Rich

13. I ran into that. I loaded 4.0 , then 4.1, 4.1.2, then 4.1.3 then 4.2, and finally 4.2.1 and got around the new key sequence. The key for 4.0 was a set of literal "words." As you say the later one is alpha-numeric.

Ric