new computer

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by papa85, Oct 26, 2005.

1. papa85

papa85 Guest

Good morning Guys and Gales :smile:

A Friend of mine is deep into building computers , he is setting me up with 3.2 Pentium 4 prosser.
    3 hard drives 1-160 gig and 1-30 gig and my 1year old 80 gig he will install internally.all hard drives are of high tec.
    1-gig Ram all upgradeable.
    Question is where should I install my PSCS2, Nikon View . Capture and where to install all the photos, he knows nothing about work flow of a photographer. (what to put on what drives). Any help will be greatly received. :confused:

2. Papa Tony, if it is set up the way that I set them up, the 30 GB is for programs while the 160 GB is for photo storage. I would use the 80 GB for backup (until it is full).

3. Tony,
    I dont want to muddy the waters but I think you may want to run this by Ron Reznik. He is a master at this. Expensive but unbelievable performance for photographers with his machines.
    link is http://trapagon.com/Computer/computer.html
    tell him I said Hi if you talk with him.
    Dave

4. Tony, I would suggest you use the 30GB for system (windows & applications), the 80GB for programs & warez, and the 160GB as photo library. For a backup get an external HDDbox.

Anything you need just PM Patrick, yes the owner of NC, or visit www.gigaparts.com

5. Tony, with the price of hard drives dropping every day, I'd use larger drive(s), eg. at least 200 GB for for image storage and use that 160 GB for programs and a PSCS "scratch" drive. Google "scratch drive" up for more info. Buy an external hard drive ( the same size as you data drive) or hard drive enclosure (and separate drive) and use that to back up your data regularly.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. A least 1 GB of memory is recommended for photo work. You didn't mention how much memory you will have.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Make the application drive a fast one if you can - Raptor 10,000 rpm.

7. My only suggestion is to go with 2GB of RAM, I did with mine and when processing images the speed has increased a lot.

8. Henk

Henk Guest

Virginia is right. Just make sure your fastest drive (probably the youngest) with the most cache is used for primary application and OS disk and take the second fastest for scratch disk. the 3rd can be used as a backup with sceduler or a backup proggie would be nice.

good luck :smile:

Henk

9. papa85

papa85 Guest

Thanks for all of the good advise. I will use it wisely. Gordon, I pushed it up to a 2 gig Ram, Menory. Hope it will make Nikon Capture run faster.
    One other thing, what is a scratch disk? :confused:

10. I have a 3.2 P4 processor with HT and 2 gb RAM. I never see the hour glass in Capture or PS CS.

The other thing to consider is a high end video card. Since all the images has to be processed and displayed on the screen, don't skimp here. I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5600 with 256 mb of video RAM.
    Make sure you get a video card that uses AGP or PCI Express.

The other thing is, make sure you get a card that has a DVI connection for the monitor and analog connections. Also make sure you have dual monitor support.

As far as monitors, I have a Sony 19" LCD SDM-HX93 Monitor that uses DVI. I read about monitor calibration, but have never needed it beacuse the color on this monitor is right on the money and matches the prints. Maybe its because of the DVI but the color is exceptional.

Have fun, Greg

11. here is how Ron set me up, works like magic
    Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:37 PM
    To: 'Dave Watts'
    Subject: RE: computer build details

C: System (5GB) -- operating system files and drivers
    D: Software (3GB) -- during an install, specify this drive (e.g. D:\Photoshop CS or D:\NCapture)
    E: Storage (10GB) -- downloads, software updates, drivers, installers, etc. plus, this is your secondary Pagefile and Photoshop Scratch disk
    F: Overflow (52GB) -- Image processing overflow (stuff that hasn't been processed yet but isn't ready to process, although you can process from this high-speed partition)
    G: Processing (70GB) -- your primary high-speed processing area. You will transfer to this partition (I've set Nikon Transfer to drop files in Transfer\Sort) and process from shoot folders here
    H: Archive (284GB) -- Create primary organizational folders here, and store either entire shoots, or selections from shoots in Shoot subfolders inside the organizational folders (e.g. Travel\Europe\France\Paris)
    I: Portfolio (238GB) -- Storage of top-grade selections, organized by subject (Master TIFs, NEFs, and mods) -- you can also use this for simple backups/Storage (external Firewire)

You've got the monitor situation correct. You'll easily see the I/O panel situation when you get the computer. Remember that the USB connections near the PS2 ports are 1.1 -- the ones near the Network port are 2.0, as are the ones on the card near the top of the computer. The DVI-Analog adapter is in the Tyan box. I've given you a Firewire cable along with the USB2 cable that came with the external drive case.

You got it right...

Ron
    ---
    Ron Reznick
    ---
    rr@trapagon.com
    ---

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    A scratch disk is a virtual drive that uses a portion of your hard drive. Photoshop uses a scratch disk to keep copies of the documents you are working on for History, Undo, multiple layers - anything that needs a large amount of memory that is not currently displayed on the screen. You can explicitly set Photoshop's scratch dsk, or it will use a default on the same disk drive that the application is on. Photoshop runs faster if it's scratch disk is not on the same drive as the application.

13. papa85

papa85 Guest

Thanks Chris for the info on Scratch disk. good to know.