New curve for the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Grant M, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Here's a curve I found on another popular site. You can down load from here http://nikonimages.ownmail.net/Images/060606.ntc

Once loaded to your 2X, set the middle point to 1.4 (Nikon Capture Control) and set your EV -1.0. Truly amazing Tiff, Jpg and Raw straight from the camera with little or no PP.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm confused. How would the curve affect the RAW file?

3. And couldn't the curve simply be applied to RAW files in NC?

4. Hi Beezle

The curve is the wrong file type to be added in capture in PP. Must be added to the camera in Control. The author of the curve says it eliminates using D-Lighting and improves DR. It does eliminate plenty of PP. NC being what it is, this is a gift.

5. For J

It does apply itself to the raw file if the raw converter recognises the curve.

6. I downloaded this curve yesterday and gave it a try - it does work as advertised, but with a bright subject you need to dial in a -2.0 EV. However, this under-exposure and the increase in the curve does bring out more noise.

I have not used it enough to form an opinion, but so far I am impressed.

7. Hi Rory

I agree with you on bright subjects and noise intro. Still IMO it's worth experimenting. Not sure if I'm a good judge of the increased DR, but I do like the results w/o pp. Jpg's to die for........

BTW your gallery is AWESOME!!! You seem to have no problem getting the most from your 2X.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Can you assign a profile to be used in just one of the banks?

9. Hi John

I can't seem to find the answer to your question. At the office now w/o my 2X...:-( I'll try to experiment during lunch and let you know.

10. I believe you can only have one custom curve in the camera, but you can select it in one bank. For example, I have Auto tone in bank 1 and Custom tone in bank 2.

I think you are asking if you could have a second custom tone curve in bank 3 - I do not think so.

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    No, that would answer my question. I was thinking about having one bank that used it and another that didn't but was otherwise identically set up. That would facilitate comparisons.