"New" D-800 not so new/Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My "new" D-800 appears to be used or otherwise recycled !!

Upfront, the indications are this has been in somebody's else hands.

Right after I ordered, this I immediately wrote B & H's customer service department and specifically stated not to send me a refurbished unit, old stock, returned camera for any reason and that I expected/required brand new and never opened before buying one sight unseen.

Imagine my anticipation over the past few days while waiting for my camera to arrive from B&H. I've spent/invested my hours in reading all about this model (on this and other major forums) & in particular users questions, experience, concerns & issues.

I bookmarked threads that are especially important & relevant such as how does one initially test to see if your unit is new. Here's is my experience.

a) I put in the supplied battery which came already partly charged. It was only a single bar however it still powered the camera. I recharged it to full capacity for testing purposes which it did very quickly.

Isn't the battery generally supposed to come dead (more or less) because it's been sitting around for so long (if a unit is truly new and factory fresh)? Than has been my experience.

b) Instead of asking me to select the language and then set-up the date/time etc. upon powering it on for the very 1st time, it immediately went to the main menu.

c) I inserted a brand new unlocked 30 MB p/s Sandisk 64 gig Ultra SDXC card.

d) I took 2 shots. The data from freshly installed Opanda v2.3 EXIF read two total pictures taken which was correct. So I received a cam with a zero shutter count in theory which is the goal.

Now for the kicker, the date-time info on each shot read 08.13.12 @ 2.08 pm. Keep in mind that today is April 16th, 2013 and I first opened it around 4 pm today.

So, the evidence shows someone else was the first to use this camera and assign the date/time during initial set-up.

e) Considering I've seen US serial numbers listed online in the range of 305xxxx and 306xxxx, imagine my frustration when my serial number fell in the 304xxxx range which is aging at this juncture. I bet in mid August last year a 304xxxx S/N was relatively current but not in April 2013!

f) The back screen was not pristine clean either. Upon inspection, it looked like there were a couple of fingermarks.

g) I put on my 6 week old 24-120 f4 and didn't get focused results. Don't know why yet. I'm really trying to limited my test shots for a hassle free return if it goes there.

So, given the above what are your views on my experience to date?

1) Would someone initially set-up the language and date, take no pictures, somehow found an issue, had buyers remorse (or whatever) and returned it in the 2nd half of Aug 2012 where it sat in a warehouse until to mid April 2013(a total of 8 months) until it reached my hands earlier today?

2) Couldn't a model that could be 20,000 or so production units from the current serial #'s be more likely to have issues? Am I better off obtaining one with a current one?

3) Is it possible to discover a major flaw or some other deal -breaker such as the left AF issue without taking a picture?

In summary, I'm at a loss other to state the above. What do you think?

4) Do you agree that it should be swapped/exchanged out as who knows what happened to the unit prior to this afternoon which the evidence shows occurred while in others hands?

Something's definitely wrong/funky here.

Please comment.

Thanks

OK my thoughts:

Battery: All of mine have come with a partial charge to be honest so not sure if this is an issue or not.

Menu setup: Mine came with a default date and language (I think) I had to change it.

Shutter Count: this is what is critical. If your first shot was 1 then as far as I know the shutter has not been fired before. I am not aware of a way to reset this.

Buyers remorse is likely. If you are not happy I'd contact customer service and talk it out with them. It could have also been a display model.

It is an odd deal.

I second the battery charge thing, that wouldn't worry me. I've bought two cameras from Nikon recently and both came with the battery charged enough for one bar.

The date thing is strange. You'd think if somebody set the date it would be correct, not some date 8 months ago. That said, mine have all come needing the language and date / time set.

I wonder if somebody looked at it to check something and wasn't careful to clean it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
a) MY experience has been that the battery is generally 100% or only 1 bar down

b) My new D800 went to the main menu......

c) ??? what' s the issue?

d) So - you took 2 photos...and Opanda said that the shutter has been fired only 2 times. That is how it should be!

Regarding the date, the factory uses s/w to check out the camera for testing purposes. SOME date is needed to test out the date functionality. My D800 had date that was much, much earlier than my purchase date, I simply changed it.

e) No opinion regarding serial number...

f) Perhaps whoever packaged at the factory actually touched the camera. Or, perhaps B&H checked the camera/packaging before sending it to you. Were you unable to clean the LCD?

g) Not enough data to comment. Post the photo, indicate the focus point, shutter speed, f stop, ISO, hand held or tripod, etc.

1) A tremendous amount of conjecture here.....

2) There were a lot of D800's that had NO issues early on also....

3) You have taken 2 pictures and have yet to find a "fatal" flaw. A fatal flaw that is obvious without taking a shot...and yet you haven't found it yet? Unlikely...

4) I think you are on a witch hunt. Just go out and shoot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Karen,

We don't know each other so all I'll say is that I'm certainly not on a witch hunt.

If one spends 2.8 k sight unseen (which in my case is a very significant expenditure) and it isn't new upon arrival in some respects then I have the right to solicit what others think happened.

Thank you.

I'd say the shutter count is the most important aspect of determining if the camera was used or not.

If it's zero (like it was for you), and the camera looks like new, I wouldn't worry about the battery charge or date/time set up.

If it continues to bother you, get it exchanged. If you decide to keep it, go out, shoot and enjoy.

I don't see any issues here, For companies like B&H and the like to be able to offer the return policies they do they have to at least put the ones out that people return during the 30 day return policy if it was not returned for specific defect reasons. Sounds like yours is not out of line. With a D800 I would only be concerned if it is functioning without any of the known issues. I certainly would not worry about finger prints and dates personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that the battery almost always has some level of charge and is not completely dead when I receive a new camera.
It is possible that the camera was turned on by someone, but the shutter count shows that is wasn't fired. If I received the camera I wouldn't think it is a big deal. If the there were scuffs, scratches or marks beyond fingerprints which will wipe off, then I would complain. If all the accessories are there, the box isn't ripped or beat up, I would keep it. I don't see any of the issues causing me to return it, but ultimately it is your money, your camera and your decision/

Use the camera and make sure everything is working well . the battery part is normal having some charge to it and your exif data is spot on .

Battery is a non issue (all mine have come with partial charge)
Set-up is a non issue
Date and Time is a non issue (if someone had set it, it would still be counting and somewhat current)
Etc.

Nothing seem wrong/funky to me, but it is in your hands.

What level is the firmware and what is current? Mine (301xxxx) came needing an update last June.

....appears the only real issue you may have is the focusing of the 24-120, but you really haven't shot it enough to tell for sure.

If you feel that you have any doubts about your purchase, call B&H. Their reputation is stellar. To be honest, I don't know how posting this here will help you.

Your post reads like you were expecting a used D800 and have talked yourself into it. Don't understand writing B&H and demanding a new camera. Why on earth wouldn't you get a new camera.
You are guaranteed to find focus issues wether present or not.

Your post reads like you were expecting a used D800 and have talked yourself into it. Don't understand writing B&H and demanding a new camera. Why on earth wouldn't you get a new camera.
You are guaranteed to find focus issues wether present or not.
i find this so true LOL.

No disrepect intended but you almost sound like some of the people who put a new camera or lens through a battery of tests almost looking for something to be wrong ….
The battery is a non-issue …
The shutter count is as it should be …
Going to the main menu isn't a big deal and the date either … possibly late double checks at the factory before being packaged ?
I have no idea how serial numbers are shipped ….

You almost sound like you had second or third thoughts about buying this camera ….. maybe you're looking too hard to find problems that maybe aren't there ?
Contact B&H and tell them your concerns and see what they say -- they're pretty much the best you can buy from ….

ron

If the shutter count was zero before you fired off two clicks, it was brand spankin' new when you got it. In no way am I trying to be a smart A$$, but seriously, would you question whether or not a car delivered by transport to your driveway with 000000.0 miles on the odometer was used?

You have one of the best cameras on the planet. Go enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I....the shutter count is the most important aspect of determining if the camera was used or not. If it's zero (like it was for you), and the camera looks like new, I wouldn't worry about the battery charge or date/time set up......
My D800 was pristine in an unopened box, but it had the same "problems" you mention. If the shutter count is zero or very close, consider it new and don't worry.

Real Name
Chris
Paranoid much?

If you don't want the camera you bought, send it back. If you want to be sure you get an unopened camera, the best way to do that is to build a trusting relationship with a brick and mortar store - preferably with a particular employee of that store. Tell them what you want, and pay the price. Then receive it fresh from the distributor, and open it in front of them. If you find anything amiss, call it out then and there. That's the only way you can be sure, ... well, unless they get to the distributor first.

firmware date?

I believe that the date that you see is the firmware date. I believe that there was a new version of the firmware done in August of last year. Mine had a date in March, which happened to be the release date for the camera and it was set to English to begin with - which is interesting since I bought it here in Japan. The battery will have to have a charge in it from the factory because it is not good to store a battery like the one Nikon usese without a charge. It doesn't sound like your camera was used before you got it, I believe.
Just my opinion.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom