New D300, why do NEF's have more noise than JPG's?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by sbrian28, Sep 24, 2008.

1. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    I was doing a test on my new D300. I am coming from Canon so I am doing some tests to get a feel for the camera. I shot the same shot with different ISO's in both jpeg and NEF. The NEF's had significantly more noise. This doesn't make a lot of sense unless the NEF has not NR applied to it while the jpeg does. Does anyone know if that is true or why the NEF's would have worse noise. I am processing through Lightroom 2. Thanks.

2. dwind

dwind Guest

Process through cnx2 and then check.

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    when I shot canon the raw files always had more noise then the jpegs. All cameras apply NR to a jpeg while the raw file is just that, raw.

4. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana

I tried this and got better results than the LR2 jpeg export, however, it still wasn't as good as the jpeg from the camera. I can't say I ever did this test with my Canon so I don't know if this is common or if this is just the case with the D300. When I used the LR2 camera profile Camera Standard Beta 1, it was much better than with the ACR4.4 profile, but still not as good as the jpeg. I used to shoot only in raw but with the NEF's I am trying to figure out how to get the best image with the least amount of post processing.

5. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks. Were you able to get the raw files or export jpegs to match the in-camera standar?d

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    sbrian28,

Using Adobe Camera Raw I would just choose that option from the drop down menu for camera calibration.

For the D3 it has 4 presets plus 3 I am assuming D2* presets and the standard adobe acr's.

7. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Sauk,

Are you suggesting to use ACR instead of LR2? I was thinking LR2 used ACR so they'd be the same. I just want to make sure that using LR2 achieves the same. I really like the LR interface so hopefully they are the same.

Great photos. I viewed your pbase site and was impressed with your sports shots. Did you just setup your Alienbees on the sidelines of the basketball game?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    It would appear that he's talking about using the new beta DNG profiles which work with ACR and LR2.

9. In for the tech... :smile:

10. LR2 incorporates ACR4.5. There's no advantage to using CS3 or CS4, since they also incorporate ACR4.5. Did you apply noise reduction in LR2?

11. Yes, that sounds correct to me.
    Additionally LR and ACR have the SAME options providing you have the latest of each and will give the same results. Hope that helps...:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

12. Not quite correct Frank, CS4 has ACR5.0 - LR2.1 has ACR4.6
    But as I was posting as you were the rest is correct!

Bloody pedantic aren't I!!!!:smile::smile::eek:

13. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    No, for my test I wanted to see it without, however, it sounds like the jpeg gets NR from the camera so I will apply NR in LR and see how I fare.

14. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    I added NR in LR2. A lot of the noise went away but I definetely lost some detail. I think it may be less noise than the jpeg now but definitely a little softer. I probably over did the NR compared to what the camera did by default. At least I know that with a little work I can achieve about the same results while maintaining more flexibility with the NEF's.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  15. No, you're just accurate. Is there a page that identifies the differences between ACR4.5, ACR4.6, and ACR5.0?

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
  17. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT

Your question was answered so I will move to the alienbee question :)

Yep I set them up at the corners of the court. Or wherever I could clamp them onto the stands. Last year I used AB 800's this year I am using B1600's.

18. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Doing that was a great idea. I'll have to consider getting a battery pack to be able to do more with my lights and not being stuck in my family room with them :)

19. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Oh yeah I loved it. I had about 3 teams out of 30 games tell me no, and it wasn't the coach it was the principle. Their excuse, it distracted the players, oh yeah right buddy.

20. sbrian28

sbrian28

Sep 22, 2008
    Indiana
    I wondered about that :)

And then I realized that flashes would be going off all the time anyways so the lights wouldn't stand out too too much! The results are excellent. Do you need a battery for each light or were you able to get by with 1 battery pack?