1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New D60 or used D70?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by AnthonyRSS, Aug 22, 2008.

1. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have been looking at DSLRs for a while and I think I have narrowed my choices down to the D70 or the D60. With a used D70 I can get a better lens I think than the kit lens on the D60. The D60 is new and has the 10mp sensor. I don't really want to limit myself with the size of prints.

Budget is ~$600.

What are the options?
    I will need lens suggestions too if I go with the D70.

Anthony

2. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    You can pick up a used D80 body for <$600.. just to add another option to your list ;) 

I'd suggest the 18-70mm for a quality, inexpensive lens.

3. If going the used route, why not even a D200. I have seen them in that price range within the last few weeks.

+1 18-70 lens to start.

4. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    D70 is still an awesome camera and is only about ~$325 in really good used condition. Get one and get some great glass for it! I've owned mine for 4 years and have taken tons of amazing photos with it. I'll never get rid of it.

5. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    $600 would be for lenses and body. I have been looking at D50s too. Less on body means I can spend more on lenses.

If I could find a used D80 w/lens for that I would be all over it.

Anthony

6. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    You may be able to swing a D80 and a 50mm f/1.8..

I guess the more important question at this point, is what are you looking for in the way of lenses? What are you looking to shoot?

I'd recommend the D70, 18-70mm, and the 50mm f/1.8. I just couldn't do the lack of AF in the body of the D60, too limiting for lenses imo (big reason I upgraded my d40)

7. My son isn't a photo hobbyist... yet... but he wanted to take quality pictures. After a lot of research, he bought the d60, 18-55VR, and 55-200VR, plus an sb600. I've been very impressed with the results this kit delivers. Here's one of his shots.

97663950.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

8. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    I shoot a little bit of everything. I think I will look for a D70. As much as I hate Ebay, there are quite a few on there. Any where else for decent deals on used cameras + lenses?

Anthony

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    D70 will open you up to regular AF lenses. D60 will limit you to AF only on AF-S lenses. Not cool in my opinion. There's tons of amazing AF lenses out there from Nikon, Tokina, Sigma, and Tamron.

10. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    Try keh.com

Andy

11. What Frank says........ This advise is spot on for a starter setup.

12. The d70 was a terrific camera, but it's several generations behind the times... just like me :Curved:. Image quality drops badly at iso400 and up, and most used copies are nearing the end of their shutter life. I'd definitely go for a newer camera.

13. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    I was wondering about the higher ISO noise. I bid on a D70 earlier, and if I win it at the bid I will be okay. If not I will get the D60.

Anthony

14. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    D60 Wedding Shot

Uncle Frank,

That is a very nice pic your son took at the wedding. Must make you proud.

Lynn

15. I'm glad you didn't ask me that question when he was a teenager, Lynn, but I'm proud of him for lots of reasons these days :smile:. On the photography front, he's doing very well with his d60. His friends are at the prime marrying age, so he's getting lots of practice at wedding photography. Here's a few more.

100612427.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 241819

I'm glad he's getting practice, cause he's going to be my backup photographer for my niece's wedding in November. I'm really looking forward to that. :biggrin:

But back on point, the d60 and kits lenses aren't holding him back at all. And if he decides he wants to become a foto-fanatic like his dad, his wife can use the d60 or he can keep it as his backup.

16. Anthony...
    We bought a D70s, and 18-70 and 70-300 lenses
    Now have 2 D70s, D200 and D2xs...
    Both D70s cameras are performing well...
    nice cameras!
    And Ultimind above, made a good point to consider.

17. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Personally I would go with the used market and look for a D70/80/200.

18. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I own a d70s, the camera rocks. Over 49,000+ shots on it and still going strong.

However, Frank is right you are better off buying newer then older. Besides shutter life and higher iso performance they have made other improvements every year. There is 3-4 years between the d60 and d70.

There is also the d80 which has dropped in price. This model has the auto focus motor so you can use a wider assortment of lens.

19. As a D70 owner who made the jump to a D300, I would say skip the D70. Nikon gets much better IQ out of the later iterations of the 6mp sensor (D40 and even the D50). A D40, 40x or 60 should suit you just fine.

20. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I have a D70s and will likely get a D200 and keep the D70s as backup. Or maybe get a D40 as backup to the D70s. As to noise in the D70s. I really don't know what everyones talking about. I just don't really see a noise problem even at iso 800. Haven't tried shooting higher yet. :confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.