New D70 problem "half and half"

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Joseph S. Wisniewski, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Anyone here see this one? Not the usual problem: "mirror sticks, second shutter press releases it, ERR message". No, this one is a bit more rare.

It only shows up when you take moderately long exposures, 1/2 second or longer. The mirror flips up, the shutter fires, then the mirror drops back down, blocking the light, so you only get 1/2 of an image. The shutter sound isn't right, there's a weird third "clunk". I'm nicknaming this the "half and half" problem, because it's half a dark frame on half second exposures.

Anyone else seen it?

So far, I've found four cases on line, and mine makes five.

Mylk Devlin http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=14238984
    Ben Seese http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13771639
    Maurik Holtrop http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Cjuo
    anotherMike http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=8042845

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I do have had a few cases of mirror being stuck halfway, or not returning properly. "Rebooting" the camera by pulling out the battery and then re-inserting it has cleared the issue and it must be 6 months at least since this happened. Didn't bother to do anything about it since it's so rarely occurring.

4. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    This one is a little different. It's progressive, just keeps getting worse and worse over time. Pulling the battery doesn't help, but giving the camera a chance to cool down does. The problem seems to be temperature dependent, it's worse on hot days, or after multiple long exposures in a row.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Hm. Perhaps that's why I haven't been bothered more with this issue - Norway isn't known for its high temperatures :biggrin:

6. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    It's back from repair. This is the second time in. The first time, they kept it for 6 weeks, updated the firmeare, and sent it back, still with the problem. :mad:

This time, they kept it for 7 weeks. And they just went wild, a "Cat C" repair, new shutter, new power supply, adjust AF, clean the sensor.

30 shots at 1/2 second, and the problem is still there. :mad: Sent it back again. :frown:

Aaaaaaaargh! :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Sorry you are still having problems. My D70 has been painfully reliable for about 10K shots.

I'm thinking about turning it into a "bjorn cam" actually - dedicated IR.

9. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmed!

Count me in on the "mirror lockup issue". (BTW, just turned 27k)

I've just recently started having a similar issue. After a few shots, and EXIF being ~1/60th @ F5.6... I get the mirror not coming back down, and everything goes DEAD. No LCD... No power in the viewfinder. DEAD!

Once I pop the battery, and reinsert it, I get the ERR on the LCD. Another shutter click brings the mirror back down, and 2 or 3 shutter activations later I'm back to normal. But one instance took 2 battery removals and a reset. Had this prob happen about 5-6 times today, thru about 80 shots.

UPDATE: I'm getting this every 5th shot now. And, after reading some other threads, and links... looks like this is not uncommon for the 70. Time to call Nikon.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  10. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Update: Nikon replaced the camera

After being in repair since July 1, Nikon sent me a brand new, boxed D70 (with all accessories). I thought that was rather nice of them. (well, the one I sent them was clean, with a low shutter count).

So far, no half-and-half or BGLOD.