New D7200 $874 delivered!

For the last many years I have purchased all of my photo & tech gear from top rated ebay sellers buying only Nikon USA warranty gear but lots of other stuff from overseas and saving a fortune.
This year I decided to test the grey market waters and saved several hundred dollars purchasing a D7200 from China with a 1yr warranty but not USA. Since like many others I've had problems with Nikon USA service I use a local camera repair that does work near Atlanta. On the occasional issue I just ship to them and they repair and return. I called them before purchasing grey market (same camera no USA warranty) to confirm they could repair in the off chance there is a problem to which they confirmed.

I then saved several hundred more dollars by purchasing my Tamron 150-600mm lens from a China seller. I live in north GA and it arrived in 2 days! Guess who the seller was? none other than Amazon next door in TN.
Of course its the same gear w/o USA warranty.
So if you want to save a lot of $$$ try "grey" market. If you have the rare problem send it to the nearest quality repair center. It well get fixed correctly and sent back in no time.

Steve

For the last many years I have purchased all of my photo & tech gear from top rated ebay sellers buying only Nikon USA warranty gear but lots of other stuff from overseas and saving a fortune.
This year I decided to test the grey market waters and saved several hundred dollars purchasing a D7200 from China with a 1yr warranty but not USA. Since like many others I've had problems with Nikon USA service I use a local camera repair that does work near Atlanta. On the occasional issue I just ship to them and they repair and return. I called them before purchasing grey market (same camera no USA warranty) to confirm they could repair in the off chance there is a problem to which they confirmed.

I then saved several hundred more dollars by purchasing my Tamron 150-600mm lens from a China seller. I live in north GA and it arrived in 2 days! Guess who the seller was? none other than Amazon next door in TN.
Of course its the same gear w/o USA warranty.
So if you want to save a lot of $$$ try "grey" market. If you have the rare problem send it to the nearest quality repair center. It well get fixed correctly and sent back in no time.

Steve
I like to save money too so I'm always trying to educate myself. I understand there are indendant repair shops to repair in the event there is a need. What I don't get is when you enter your serial number to get a firmware update for a digital camera (as I understand it) you can't get the update. So how do you get. Updates on grey market? I don't think the risk is worth 10-15% but if you start saving 20-25% and there are ways to keep it up to date and get repairs them I'm all ears.

Real Name
Randy
i don't recall entering a serial# to get a firmware upgrade

USA version's 5 year warranty is IMO easily worth the money

i don't recall entering a serial# to get a firmware upgrade

USA version's 5 year warranty is IMO easily worth the money
5 years on lenses but 1 year on camera body. I've read that some have not been able to get firmware .... That would be a huge concern ... I agree on the lens for sure 5 years on Nikon and 7 years on Tamron ... That has value for sure.

I made myself feel better for decades convincing myself it was "worth it" to overpay the USA rate, not anymore. There is not one difference. These are not defects from a cut rate dealer. USA overpays for most things.
Just thought I'd share my positive experience.
FWIW

Steve

Real Name
Randy
I made myself feel better for decades convincing myself it was "worth it" to overpay the USA rate, not anymore. There is not one difference. These are not defects from a cut rate dealer. USA overpays for most things.
Just thought I'd share my positive experience.
FWIW

Steve

it sounds like you didn't have any problems and didn't have to use the insurance
and I think we all agree the gear is identical. made in the same place

so it's buy the insurance or not

There are
it sounds like you didn't have any problems and didn't have to use the insurance
and I think we all agree the gear is identical. made in the same place

so it's buy the insurance or not
but if you pay for insurance/extended warranty then you pretty much give back any savings. With the exchange rate right now a Canadian purchase isn't a bad deal. Granted if an issue comes up it has to be shipped back to Canada but Nikon Canad has a 2 year warranty instead of a 1 year ... So shipping may be slower but you get double the coverage as far as warranty and still have Nikon support.

"Please note: The photographs of some accessories may not reflect the actual item shipped. At times, we may substitute accessories for similar ones of equal or greater value."

Do they substitute aftermarket batteries and chargers?

Just as an FYI many reputable B&M stores in Canada are selling the D7200 for $1300.00 CDN out the door after taxes.
That translates to $990.00 US for a D7200 body with a 2 year Nikon warrantee.

Just as an FYI many reputable B&M stores in Canada are selling the D7200 for $1300.00 CDN out the door after taxes.
That translates to $990.00 US for a D7200 body with a 2 year Nikon warrantee.
And it costs to $125.00 to insure and ship to the US. So the total is more than the current sale price of $1096 and free shipping from the big photo stores here.

Resurrecting this thread. I (mistakenly) bought a used D7200 which turns out to be a Japan model It's on firmware version 1.00. I would like to update it, but want to be sure I will not brick my camera by installing firmware downloaded from the Nikon USA website. I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm this for me.

Regards,

Antonio

Latest threads

Top Bottom