1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New D90 sample photos

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Pa, Sep 1, 2008.

1. On DPReview here.

2. Initially I was amazed that all are perfectly exposed with zero exposure compensation. Amazing metering and auto exposure!

A more likely explanation, however, is that the shots were done in manual mode by someone who knows what they are doing. :wink:

3. Check out the exif all the ones I checked were shot in Aperture Priority.
    You can go back to being amazed :0)

4. I too am impressed by the D90 samples....I also viewed the video sample of the duck and I'm more impressed.
    Nikon has a winner again....

5. Looks very promising :smile:,

all DPR sample images are available full sized for download to check them with your viewer of choice ... tried a couple and this may be a future replacement for the trusty D70, videos look good to me for for the occasional use.

Mike

6. and before I part with the dollars ... I will print some for closer evaluation :smile:

I tend to be tight with my hard earned money :wink:

Mike

7. Yes, I now see that one can download the original jpegs and view the Exifs. The automatic exposure system is impressive, especially on the one of the backlit toucan in the cage.

I agree, the images themselves don't look that special. But the performance of the metering system is pretty impressive, as noted above.

8. From an Exif:

Exposure Program = Normal program

Does this mean "P" mode?

9. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Looks like it, when you look at the other options for in Photome for Exposure Program, you see them aperture, shutter, manual, the presets, etc, all except 'Program'.

10. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    But sometimes it is ;) 

11. I'm still very skeptical that the metering will be much different to the D80 . The backlit shot of the Toucan shows that metering is biased to the focus point which was right in the centre of the bird's neck - it worked in that shot but then look at the pictures of the blue tractor - the front on shot looks good because it has exposed for the highlights in direct sunlight and slightly darkened the background-which looks good [ accidentally though ] . this is proved by the side shot of the tractor , it has exposed for the shadows - and the background highlights , along with the top of the tractor , are over-exposed and ugly . My D70S would do a better job .

12. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I think those look really good. All of the ones I looked at were in aperture priority with 0 EV comp. If it can nail the exposure that close than any minor mishaps I can easily fix in PP. I'll have to seriously consider upgrading to the D90 from the D70s early next year (tax money). The video samples also made me think about how nice it would be to get short video clips of our family at the zoo or on vacation without dragging along a camcorder.

13. With all due respect, you must have an exceptional D70s. I know my D200 wouldn't do that well.

Agreed.

14. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hm... looks like the exposure meter might have been tuned with different parameters than the D80. Then again without first hand experience it is impossible to tell. Identical metering chip does not mean identical parameters in the firmware.

With the D300 sensor we already are familiar with and probably better metering than D80 this camera is a sure winner. And you get the HD movie (nope, not "video") capability for free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.