New Edition of "Bible of Light" to be released

New edition, new price, sigh!
Holy sticker shock, Batman! I'll hang on to my first edition for now. The physics of light have not changed much since I bought it.

My favorite quote from the book:

"...light behaves like light, and no amount of our piety or wit can ever make it do otherwise. We like to say we control light, but often all we can really do is to cooperate with what it wants to do. This is true of any light, in the studio or out of it."

5th edition, page 306 (also in the 4th edition but I don't know the page number).

I'll never forget in July 2012 replicating the book's exercise of lighting a shiny metal spatula using one light source. In one photo the spatula appears bright (almost white) and in the other photo it appears black even though the entire spatula is directly lit in both photos by the same light source. The spatula and camera were in the same position in both photos. The only difference between the two setups is that in the photo that lit the spatula brightly, the light source was within the family of angles, whereas in the photo that lit the spatula to be dark, the light source was outside the family of angles.

I had never heard of the family of angles. Nearly a decade later, understanding that characteristic of light is still the single most important revelation I learned from the book. Reading about it was great but seeing the effects in my makeshift studio and then recording them in the photos was an absolutely amazing experience.

Lamp was within the family of angles
Mike 2012-07-22--003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lamp was outside the family of angles
Mike 2012-07-23--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
It really is amazing that the series of books is over 50 years old, so I wonder what happens with the book when all three authors have died. Will someone continue the series to keep it up to date within the context of lighting and digital photography technologies that emerge over time? Fil Hunter died while the 5th edition was being created before it was released. I was not able to determine how old the other two authors are or even if both of them are still alive.

Last edited:
It really is amazing that the series of books is over 50 years old, so I wonder what happens with the book when all three authors have died. Will someone else continue the series to keep it up to date within the context of digital photography technologies that emerge? Fil Hunter died while the 5th edition was being created before it was released. I was not able to determine how old the other two authors are or even if both of them are still alive.
It is astounding that the book has had such "legs". Found a "fine" grade copy of the 1st edition at a Denver used book store. Buying it would be an indulgence and an exercise in nostalgia. It would also be a welcome road trip. Decisions, decisions.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
It really is amazing that the series of books is over 50 years old, so I wonder what happens with the book when all three authors have died. Will someone continue the series to keep it up to date within the context of lighting and digital photography technologies that emerge over time? Fil Hunter died while the 5th edition was being created before it was released. I was not able to determine how old the other two authors are or even if both of them are still alive.

Many well known technical guides get updated with new authors editing and updating the content. Langford's photographic textbooks are a good example. I have an Engineering textbook that has taken on board new authors too.

A famous title is worth keeping up to date and in print.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom