New Film/Slide Scanner

Real Name
Ken St John
I'd like to throw an "attaboy" to the little film/slide scanner I received form Amazon today. It's branded as the "Kodak Slide N Scan Digital Film Scanner" and cost around $150. I realize it's nothing like the Coolscan or a professional model, but I am really blown away by the quality of the scans. It's as easy to operate as can be. Connects to USB for power, has a 5" LCD to see what you're doing, and the images are stored on a SD card. Put that SD card in your computer, and import them just like you'd do with your camera. Easy.

Here are two slide scans from around 1985 taken while we were getting ready to launch the space shuttle from Vandenberg AFB in California. We used the orbiter "Enterprise" for fit and finish training. The first one was the device that removed the orbiter from the NASA 747 carry aircraft at the airfield. The second was on the way to the launch pad, about 10 or so miles away from the airfield on the southern coast of the base.
Old USAF Photos-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Old USAF Photos-2.jpg

About all I did to these were a color temp adjustment and remove a few dust spots. I'm really impressed with the quality!!

(Side note ... how about the sign on the police Bronco? Like you need a sign to tell you there's a "wide load” ahead...)

I still have quite a few old slides and negatives to scan in, mostly family, and this looks like it will be a fun way to spend a few rainy days inside the house!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty nice. Does the scanner produce 8-bit sRGB JPG files? 16-bit Adobe RGB TIFF files? Do you have a choice?
There are no choices other than the file size ... 14 or 22 MP. I used the 22 MP. Here's about the only tech info I can find...

Again, for the cost ... I'm pretty happy with the results!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom