New Firmware for the D5 and D500.

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by nuclearjock, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Saw this on FM. Minor stuff for the D500, more for the D5 but I like to stay current. Sometimes there are hidden goodies. C:Ver.1.13

Nikon | Download Center

D500
    Fixed an issue that interfered with pairing or resulted in unreliable connections when the camera was used with the Android edition of the SnapBridge app.

D5
    • Added two new AF-area modes: group-area AF (HL) and group-area AF (VL). The user selects a row (HL) or column (VL) of focus points; when AF-C is selected for focus mode, the camera will give priority to the point in the selected row or column containing the subject closest to the camera.
    • Updated the photo info display to show the color temperature for photos taken with Auto selected for white balance.
    • Added an Exif tag listing the difference between the local time zone and UTC, part of the Exif 2.31 specification.
    • Added the support for the following features of AF-P lenses:
    - If the standby timer expires after the camera has focused, the focus position will not change when the timer is reactivated.
    - In manual focus mode, the focus indicator in the viewfinder (or in live view, the focus point selected in the monitor) will flash to show that infinity or the minimum focus distance has been reached by rotating the focus ring.
    • Changed the checks performed when Clean image sensor > Clean now is selected in the SETUP MENU. We recommend that you perform image sensor cleaning after updating the firmware.
    • Fixed the following issues:
    - The higher the amount of Active D Lighting selected when optional flash units were used with auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode, the more the resulting images would be underexposed.
    - Changes to exposure (including exposure compensation) would not be reflected in the photo live view exposure preview while the display was zoomed in.
    - Photo live view display WB could not be selected in the i-button menu while the exposure preview was displayed in photo live view.
    - Taking long bursts of photos with On selected for Network > Options > Auto send would sometimes drastically slow the recording of data to the memory card.
    • Reduced the amount of time needed to connect to hidden SSIDs when WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK is selected for Authentication.
    • Updated some help text.
    Notice
    Users of the software listed below will need to update to the following versions to support the changes in this firmware update:
    • Camera Control Pro 2 version 2.25.1 or later
    • ViewNX-i version 1.2.8 or later

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I wonder how many of those D5 fixes are actually part of the D500 fixes and just not listed... :p

3. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Thank you for noticing that.

I have installed the Update in my D5 and notice several improvements including the two new Group AF modes: Group Vertical and Group Horizontal. Both work as advertised and I am sure they will come in useful at some point.

What is very helpful is that the actual color temp (in °K) is recorded in the EXIF and displays in the LCD when you shoot with any of the Auto WB choices.

If you use Nikon software (I don't!), you need to update those programs too to work with this new Firmware Update.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Are the group V and H modes in addition to the current group af or did they replace the current group af?

5. Thanks for posting Rick.

6. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    In addition.

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the info!

8. DudleyG

DudleyG

Feb 6, 2006
    Lexington, Ky
    The D5 manuals (Menu Guide, User's Manual, and Professional Settings - Sports) have been updated on the Nikon Global Download Site to reflect the changes including the new AF-area modes. They are PDF files that can be downloaded which I carry around on my mobile devices. I also did the firmware update and it works fine with new modes.

9. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Not mentioned in Nikon's notes, but something which is going to please those who have experienced difficulty working with the faster refocusing in Dynamic AF modes in a D5 or D500, is that I have the distinct impression that Nikon seems to have increased the Delay times.

Those people who had set long Delays in the earlier version of the Firmware might want to revisit their settings.

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks! I downloaded the revised D5 manual. The D500 manual for the Americas is not yet updated. I'm about to attach my 300 PF lens to both the D5 and D500 to see if both cameras have the new AF HL and VL options...

11. I'm not seeing HL and VL after updating my D500. They're on my D5 though.

12. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Not supposed to be on D500 only D5.

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Ditto. Maybe that update will be forth coming.

14. I wish they'd add D9. I feel comfy with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    There are a lot of people that would like to see that.

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    And I just learned that "PF" lenses and "P" lenses are different! LOL!

17. Since there's a change in the EXIF, has anyone tried this with lightroom or ACR to ensure it is still compatible? I hope they wouldn't surprise us but.... ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Yep, tried LR nothing has changed.

19. Great, thanks.

20. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    D5 ONLY (not available in the D500)
    To be able to see the recorded WB (in K) in the LCD when shooting in one of the Auto WB modes:

You need to have that option switched on in the
    Display menu/Playback/Playback Display Options/ check Shooting Data.
    (in addition to Basic and Focus Point

Then cycle through the Shooting Record until the fifth frame and the actual °K will display under White Balance.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017