1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Firmware improves White Balance?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by rjlichtman, Jul 4, 2008.

1. rjlichtman

rjlichtman

Apr 17, 2008
    Michigan
    I have been using the new firmware, now, for several days with my D3 and I am not seeing any difference (improvement?) in the white balance? It seems the same to me. Am I missing something?

--bob

2. well....
    how did you "test" that?
    mine surely is better, especially with MIXED lighting or INCANDESCENT predominance

are you shooting in low-light condition with "odd" lighting and have your camera set on AUTO-WB?

3. rjlichtman

rjlichtman

Apr 17, 2008
    Michigan
    While Balance improvement?

I haven't done any formal testing. I am simply looking at the NEF files I have before the upgrade and the NEF files I have made after the upgrade. I use the auto setting. I am thinking that because I shoot NEF files that the auto setting is fine?

I am not saying there hasn't been an improvement. I just am not seeing it the way I set my camera.

Exactly, what did the new firmware improve in the white balance? Or put another way, what was wrong with the white balance that it needed improvement?

--bob

4. I think the difference is in jpeg output and on the LCD display of NEF images.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  5. rjlichtman

rjlichtman

Apr 17, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks!

Thanks! I will have to play around with that just to see what is going on.

--bob

6. If you open a NEF in NX or NX2 or ViewNX, it will look just like the jpg if you don't change any settings. The jpg is just rendered by the engine in the camera. There won't be any difference due to output unless you change it.

My guess is, as Greg noted, that the AWB was improved for specific "tough lighting" condidtions, and that in more "normal" conditions you wouldn't see, or expect, any difference at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

7. papah

papah

May 5, 2007
    Seattle
    I notice a difference in low incandescent lighting. The LCD playback is improved, I think, over pre-firmware upgrade.

8. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Well, no official testing done, but same as BostonRott's, my two black and white dogs are now BLACK and white instead of BLUE/BLACK and white.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.