New firmware update for D70!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Neeper, May 16, 2005.

1. New firmware for D70: Click here

Changes applied with the upgrade of A firmware version 1.01 and B firmware version 1.03 to A and B firmware version 2.00

* Performance of the 5-area AF system has been improved (Dynamic area and Closest subjct AF-area modes).
    * Changes have been made to the design of menu displays.
    * Page-size settings can now be applied from the camera with direct printing from a PictBridge-compatible printer.
    * The number of exposures remaining, displayed in the control panel and viewfinder, when shooting at an image-quality setting of NEF (RAW) or NEF+JPEG Basic has been changed (the number is calculated based on the size of compressed RAW file).
    Maximum number of exposures displayed when a 256-MB CompactFlash memory card is used:
    Version 2.00: NEF (RAW): approx. 44 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 39 exposures
    Version 1.03 or earlier: NEF (RAW): approx. 23 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 21 exposures
    * The default setting for camera clock has been changed from 2004.01.01 to 2005.01.01. Now you cannot set the clock back to a date before 2004.12.31.
    * A problem that sometimes caused communication between the camera and computer to be unexpectedly terminated when using Nikon Capture Camera Control has been corrected. (Windows)

The biggest thing here for me is the quicker AF. It is noticable. Also, they finally fixed the wrong RAW count. 178 now shows up with my 1gb card, instead of 92 (or whatever it was).

2. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I'll take a closer look when I've more time.

3. tamachan

tamachan Guest

Could you tell me, if you use PSCS, or PSCS2... are you still able to use the Adobe camera raw... and that it reads the 'as shot' settings? There were rumors going around that this new update incorporates similar 'encryption' as the D2X Raw...

4. By the looks of it, there is no encrpytion. It was been tested by a few of the members on d70users.com. They all say it's working perfect with ACR.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

It is only 5:45 here and still dark out, but man I am about to get dressed and go play.. :)
    Thanks for the news that it was out.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I downloaded the updates and will complete the upgrade this evening. I could have done with the faster AF yesterday while I was shooting a triathlon. The D70's AF was definitely struggling to keep up :x

7. Just updated mine.

Easy as cake, piece of pie.

8. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Just did both of my D70's (note: D70's not D70s). There is noticeable AF differences, nothing to go nuts over but comparing my two 70's there is a quicker response with the new firmware, this is the best benefit and I am pleased with this upgrade. There are silly rumours on DPR about sound differences with AF (beep) but this is not true and frankly unimportant. The newer menus also look neat but no added benefits but I prefer the new ones.

[edit] Ahh yes, the change to the reamining NEF's is a good change, I prefer this over guessing always.

Joel.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't use Dynamic Area AF, I stick to single area even when using AF-C so I don't guess I'll benefit from that. The correct remaining shot-count for NEF would be nice but I think I'll wait a bit and make sure there are no problems with this update.

10. It's weird you said that, because the first thing I noticed was the beep was different. Not that I care, but it definitely sounds different than before.

11. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Mmmm, Yeah the DPR forum was all about this too :? , but comparing my two together there was no sound differences. Both my units are for the Asian market (one Korean, one Japanese) so perhaps the sounds were slightly different for different regions..... :?:

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks for the heads-up.

13. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the link. Just upload one of our D70's and will give it a try.

14. Brew

Brew Guest

Mine done too, thanks for the link. Have not tried ti out yet but the menu looks better and the NEF file count seems like it will be more accurate.

15. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Works like a charm

I have placed the firmware on two D70's and they went perfect. One with the Asian download and one with the US. They are identical. AF is better and I think the menus are easier to read.

If you wait about 30 seconds after DONE appears the camera comes back on. I waited, just to be safe.

16. Nedifer

Nedifer

May 13, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    I loaded the firmware update today. Both RawMagick Lite and Adobe ACR process NEFs shot post firmware 2.0 just fine, at least on my machine.

--Ned

17. HELP

Looks like I have a problem with the firmware upgrade. I thought I did everything according to the instructions, but after finishing, the camera shows firmware versions as

A:1.01
    B:2.00

When I try to update again, it only shows the option:

B2.00 -> B2.00

i.e. no option to upgrade A.

Any suggestions?

18. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Make sure you only have one portion (A or B) on the memory card at one time. First copy A onto to the card then update. Format card. Put B onto the card then update. Format card.

Make sure you wait about 20 seconds after the "Done" to turn off the camera as the update is actually not done when this message comes up. Wait until the top LED display returns to normal.

Joel.

19. Thanks! Guess that was a subtlety in the instructions that I missed.

Seems to be updating o.k. now.

20. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Excellent!!! :)

It's not mentioned very well on the site so I think many are making this error.

Joel