New flash (kinda)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by DBrim, Jul 6, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    My dad was a photographer when he was in college. He has some film gear laying around from the 70s, and on a whim, I decided to try his flash (Minolta Auto 132X) on my camera. It fires! The downside is that I haven't been able to adjust any of the settings (flash compensation on the camera doesn't do anything), and I've turned the dial on the back and it doesn't seem to do anything (although I don't really understand it). The only setting seems to be REALLY BRIGHT. It may help out in some situations, but I'm still eying an SB-400.

2. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    The SB-400 is a neat little flash but it doesn't have any controls on it. I have one for my D80 to carry around in my pocket for those times when I need a little more that what the built-in flash give you. Its a decent flash for the money, but I have an SB-800 on my to-buy-next list.

3. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    My reasoning is that I hardly use flash, and know nothing about advanced flash anyhow. I just want something that won't shadow with my 18-200 and 12-24.

4. Does the Minolta flash have an A mode or is it only manual ?

Ronnie

5. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    It has an automatic switch, but I didn't notice any difference. I'd be surprised if it was able to read settings from the camera anyhow.

6. Does it have dedicated pins on the shoe? I.E. is there more than just the central contact on the shoe? If there are then it may be dangerous to put it on the Nikon in case it screws up some circuitry inside the camera. This could be fixed with tape though. I suspect the A is purely an internal type A mode and not TTL. That should work fine with the camera in M mode if you know what aperture to use.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/XD series accessories.html

Ronnie

7. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The bottom looks like the 118 below it.

8. Ok, I would tape over the off centre pin near the back of the shoe to prevent damage to your camera. Use the camera on M mode. There may be an indication of what aperture you can use on the back of the flash in A mode. Looking at the 320 above you'll see the yellow setting is for f/5.6 and the red for f/2.8. If that doesn't work then there may be a fault with the flash sensor (the round object on the front :).

Ronnie

9. Oh, and make sure you set the camera and flash dial to the same ISO (ASA) settings. :)

Ronnie