New Gear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by confused, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Wow....I just received my Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II Camera Backpack - Black and SB600........I think the backpack weighs a fourth of me with all the gear in it. Nikon D70, Nikon N75, 70-300ED, 18-70mm, 28-90mm, SB600, user manuals, film, cables, card reader, recharger. I managed to fill it. I almost didn't have room (which probably proves I didn't make the best of the space. I have my D70 with the 70-300mm down the middle, then on the right down the side I have on the top my N75 with the 28-90mm facing in and then below that the 18-70mm. On the left side i have my SB600 lined down the side and below that some hood caps and below that some film. Is there a better way to use the space? Also, when I close it when I go around the corners its a bit harder to zip...is that bad? :?

The flash was pretty cool too. I have never worked with a flash or had any experience with a flash. It really does give WAY better results. It is cool how bouncing it off the ceilings or walls changes it and if you aim it right at the subject. Also cool how you can overexpose or underexpose on the flash.

This is just kind of my WOW post about my new gear. I am getting psyched for Alaska. My guess is I better find some ice on the cruise...my back is gonna be hurting since I only weigh 120lbs and im 5'7"...........

Thanks for reading my "I got new toys and had fun playing with them tonight".

-Elliott

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Actually Elliott, many of us can certainly empathize. 8)

In reality though, you don't have that big old Naturetrekker all that full. I have the next size smaller bag (Phototrekker II), and I carry my D2H, 300 2.8, 70-200VR, SB-800, 17-35, Canon 500D, 2 CF card readers, a D2H battery charger and spare battery, a D70 battery charger and spare battery, my Better Beamer, lens cleaning gear, and various other nick-nacks.... :lol:

I also carry my D70 with the 18-70 in another holster bag, and my 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 TC's, spare flash batteries, and CF cards in a small shoulder bag. :roll:

Of course, I out-weigh you by about 50 lbs. :oops:

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hee hee - my bags do that too. I swear I couldn't fit a tooth pick in when they're packed!

Take it apart and put it back together a few more times with try different layouts. You may find a more efficient packing pattern. I'm curious though. Are you taking the film camera as a back-up or because you want to shoot some film? I have a N80 that I intend to use as a backup, but since nothing has ever happened to my D100, I have started leaving it at home and taking my old coolpix instead.

:x Dang!! I think I outweigh both of you together!

4. I guess the reasons I am taking my film camera is because I don't quite trust my cameras. I kind of have it backwards though. My 75 has failed on me twice in the year and a half to two years I have had it. My 70 hasn't failed once that I am aware of. So I guess I am taking it as a backup just in case. I am really looking forward to shooting a lot on this and if I didn't get a chance I would be pretty bummed. So its a backup and I still like to bring out the film camera once in awhile just to get the nice old feeling back. I started on film and it just will never have that same effect or feel that digital has.

This really is starting to be a TOTALLY new experience for me and its fun experimenting.

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    You mention you'll be hauling this along for a cruise in Alaska. If you feel that your cabin is reasonably secure, or you can lock some of your kit, you may want to use something smaller or pack a bit lighter for the actual shoots. Sure you need the charger at nights, but you don't need to haul it out into the field. It may be too much money after buying a new bag and flash, but I like to travel with my gear in a Pelican case (used to be a 1520, now a 1550). I can keep this locked in my room and actually chain it to the toilet or hide it in the closet if I'm worried. Then I can toss the accessories I need into a waist pack or the likes and take off on my shoot without killing my back.

My first few assignments I overpacked. Now I can usually get by with just carrying my two bodies with lenses attached over my shoulders, and carrying everything else I need in a small fanny pack. This is provided I have local access to card reader, Powerbook, chargers, etc.

I have a pretty bad back, so I'm always looking for means to cut down on weight. It's all just about trying out different solutions. If you plan on carrying the gear for a few hours, do just that at home. Stock up just as if you were in Alaska and carry it for a few hours. This is really the only way you'll know. Sometimes a little inconvenience that you dismiss as trivial can really magnify itself after prolonged exposure.

6. Good plan, Mike. A thief would never think of looking in a closet :roll:.

If I'm going on holiday, I never take more than I can fit in my Tamron Expedition 4 backpack, which I wear at all times, other than in the swimming pool. But I don't stuff my chargers in the backpack.

7. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I guess it does sound pretty dumb. I forgot to mention I chain it to the rod in the closet if it goes in there. If they are motivated enough to rip out the rod, then fine, take it. All my stuff is insured so I'll just buy new gear.

8. lol, nice attitudes here! :D

I do have a smaller quantary case for my D70 but that will only fit my D70 and the 70-300 or D70 and 18-70mm with flash. So...im not sure what to do there? I also have a case for my N75. It is tiny, fits that and the kit lense plus 4-5 rolls of film depending on how many I want to jam that day.

So after that little piece of info maybe I should......buy a fannypack, take my D70 case and put my D70 and 70-300 in that, put the 18-70mm in the fanny pack as well as the flash? That is the only logical idea I can think of. Does anybody else have any others? And how much is a fanny pack gonna cost me nowdays? I don't know since I guess its apparently uncool for 14 year olds to wear them daily :D

Thanks again all for the great advice!

9. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    That sounds good, at least in my opinion. A fanny pack shouldn't be too much money. I'd avoid the dedicated camera ones as they cost way too much IMO. Try looking at hiking stores near you. I found one at EMS for $15 and it works like a charm.

By the way, if you don't like wearing it as a fanny back, just throw it across your back like a messenger bag. I usually only carry it on my belly when I need quick access to it.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely good advice. :wink: