New Genre for Mike Buckley

I played with this quite a bit several years ago. My garage ceiling was speckled for years. It is really interesting to do.
I may have to play with this again. I used a square wave generator to pulse the speaker.
gary
paint splatter tempra 0084.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

paint splatter tempra 0082-Edit.jpg

paint splatter wide 0017.jpg

I still play with this once in a while- but it does make a mess.
I used a cognisys stop shot for the sound trigger.
I made two systems, basically gluing a speaker onto a pvc pipe. I used a 4" and 12" speaker with appropriate sized pvc pipe. I stretched a black rubber diaphragm over the other end of the pvc pipe.
I downloaded a square wave generator onto the same laptop that was controlling the stop shot, and used different shapes and freq wave forms to pulse the speaker.
Put an ounce or two of paint on the rubber diaphragm- pulse the speaker- and the paint flies all over the place. It really does make a mess.
You need a really dark room- I used the garage.
I had 4 flashes set up triggered from the audio trigger on the stop shot.
Camera shutter opens for a second. There is no natural light, shutter speed means nothing. Pulse the square wave generator. Paint flies everywhere. The flashes fire a few ms after the pulse. Spend a couple of minutes cleaning things up- and do it again.
The flashes are set on low power- which is why I needed 4- and that gives me a pulse duration of about 1/80000 of a sec.
It was a blast. I quit doing it as they all started to look the same- different but the same.
Still have several large prints of these hanging in the house.
PM me if you have any specific questions.
gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom