New Glass for Road Warrior!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by haze2, Jun 8, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently posted a request for suggestions regarding the best 3 lenses for a Road Warrior. The response was great and I want to thank everyone for all the valuable insights. I actually decided to purchase 4 new lenses instead of three. I will only carry three at a time, but I will give myself the option to swap out a lens when the need arises.

Here is the lineup:

Wide Angle Nikkor AF 12 - 24 f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX

Mid Range Nikkor AF 35 – 70 f/2.8D

Telephoto Nikkor AF 70 -300 f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED AF-S VR

Special Purpose Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D

I’m leaving in about an hour to the local photo store to see if they have any interest in matching the B&H pricing. If they do, I’ll purchase the equipment today. If not, I’ll place the order with B&H. I’m leaving for Rio de Janeiro tomorrow and would love to take the new glass with me…..but we’ll see. Thanks again for your insightful thoughts and opinions.

2. mikebass1

mikebass1

Jun 3, 2007
    California
    Let me know how it works out with seeing if your local store will match B&H prices. I think I'll try the same with my local store.

3. Very nice!! I can tell you that you'll LOVE having that 12-24 for all the travelling that you do. Fantastic for both city work and landscapes!!! :biggrin:

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Gretchen, I'm really looking forward to shooting with these guys!

Well going to the local camera store didn't work out. It turns out that they can't buy the lenses for what B&H sells them for. They were very nice folks, but they just can't compete. Since the difference would have been several hundred dollars, there is just no way I can support the local guys. Pity.

Anyway, when I get back from Brazil the equipment should be here. I can't wait!

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Well I hope you have some decent glass to take with you to Brazil! Have fun there!

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Well I'm sure they can probably buy it for what B&H sells it for, just that retail space is $$$$$. Was this a chain store you went to or a local one-off shop?

7. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a local store. I actually went to the two largest stores in Phoenix but neither one could touch the B&H prices. It was clear they wanted the sale, but apparently an independent local store can't even come close. It's really a pity because these are great stores with wonderful customer service. But for the four lenses it was going to cost me several hunderd dollars more to buy local....enough for a nice new carbon fiber tripod.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    wow that's a bummer :frown:

9. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    My rule is that if it is not with in 10% I go B&H.
    Tom

10. It IS possible for a large local store to be quite close to B&H prices - my local store in the SF Bay Area does it. I can often get them to match B&H on major items. Although I am a regular customer, I don't come anywhere near what the pros spend there. I was surprised at how high their volume is, and I doubt that all that many local stores can match them, but it IS possible.

11. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    OK, What is Road Warrior?

12. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's an old expression for someone that spends half (or more) of their life traveling (on the "road"). Here is the original post: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=117450

In hindsight, I probably should have dug up the original thread instead of starting a new one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    Ok, I got it now, Thanks

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Haze :

As one Road Warrior to another (I'm averaging well more than three weeks a month traveling now), I think that this is a pretty solid set of lenses.

The 12-24mm and the 35-70mm lenses are a great set for most city and landscape shooting, and you gain some pretty reasonable macro ability with the 35-70mm, not to forget solid low light capability. I've said before, and I'll say again, the 35-70mm f/2.8 is one of Nikon's most underrated lenses (and it's built like a tank!).

On the speciality side, the 85mm f/1.8's a neat lens.

I'll be looking forward to some fun photographs from you...

John P.

15. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I deal with a local camera shop here in Houston. For the same reason I brought my latest lens addtions from B&H. The poeple in my local shop are very nice and knowledgeable; however they can't compete either. I have to save money everywhere I can. So I will be buying from B&H for a while now.
    Added, B&H service is GREAT.........