New guessing game...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Dec 9, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
  2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Gregory, this is great!!! I had really fun guessing! With lots of pure luck I guessed 13 out of 14 correctly. Only no. 5 was wrong. What it shows is that one can take great pictures with a regular digicam, but you've got more leverage with a DSLR to fine-tune. Thanks for this nice quiz. What's the price for 13 out of 14?

3. 3 wrong

Other than the camera phone shot it is tough to tell.
    I pretty much based my guesses on DOF, lots of DOF - probably digicam.
    Don

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You get... Bragging rights! :) Really, very few have scored that high. Most get about 9-10 right.

"What it shows is that one can take great pictures with a regular digicam"

Bingo... The reason I wrote the page is I see so many times people state their budget for a digial camera is $300-400 USD, and ask for camera recommendations. People almost always recommend a DSLR even though the poster is/was a noob and even when they state they have no other camera.

I'm out to dispell the "you need a DSLR to take decent pics" myth!

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    That was supposed to be a give away ;)

Actually, I posted that "snapshot" cuz I was too lazy to dig out my DSLR, and people commented on how great the shot was, even though I was asking a non-photo question in a non-photo forum.

Point of the shot was that even with a camera phone you can get decent shots (I've seen people do worse with a DSLR).

BTW, my 4 yo daughter actually took the first photo.

6. heck, that you need a dslr for decent pics myth is even more of a myth than we realize sometimes! I've found that it's really quite difficult for many people to take decent pics with a DSLR.
    of course once you get past the learning curve if you're up to it, you can get some nice stuff :smile:
    I got a lot of them right

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gregory,
    Looks like I got 3 wrong. :>)))
    Haven't seen you in awhile. Nice to have you back.
    Love your images and website as usual
    Thank you

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I know several people that have gone out and bought a D70 or something and after owning it for like 6 months, have only taken 20 or so shots with it, and have yet to make a print. I also know several people that have gotten the costco digicam special and have taken hundreds of photos with it and are actually now considering a DSLR.

People ask me all the time what kind of camera they should buy, I usually ask questions like, what type of photography, how large they print, level of interest, amount of experience, yadda yadda yadda. But I've seen it over and over when people ask someone on the boards what kind of camera they should buy and only state that they have a budget of $300 - and then someone recommends a DSLR; "anything else is a waste of money."

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hi Gale,

That's above average. People usually miss around 4-5 of them.
    It's been quite hectic around here lately, so I haven't had much time to browse the message boards.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gregory,
    I spent over an hour rereading you excellent tutorials. Have to refresh this old forgetful brain now and again.
    Thanks again.

Hope your Christmas and New Years are great.
    Hurry back.

11. So how did I do, eh 6 out of 14. Not exactly stellar performance. Loved you images and your quiz. Very nice my friend.

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    It ain't all that bad... Many, many people scored the same. The lowest score is a 3/14.