New guy posting a few images

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Photo, May 7, 2005.

1. To further introduce myself, here are a few of my favorite photos from recent months. Camera, lens, & flash noted. Comments and critique are always appreciated.

Brides & Grooms

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS

[​IMG]
    D2h, 28-70 AFS

[​IMG]
    D2h, 28-70 AFS

Portraits

[​IMG]
    D2h, 28-70 AFS

[​IMG]
    D1x, 70-200 AFS VR

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, SB800 (remote)

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Hey Joe,

Welcome to the forum. You're not new to a lot of us here. I've admired your work for a long time. These are great samples.

Tom

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice work Joe - yes I remember you too, from a place long ago and far away.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Just outstanding work, Joe

Good to see you making a contribution here. Love your work!

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Stunning work Joe. I have always loved the second shot from you. Can't wait to have you post more and look forward to seeing what you have to say.

7. My mouth is WIDE OPEN right now. I just can't find the words to express how wonderfully gorgeous these shots are!! Well done!! :D :D :D

8. Wow! You are new to me, but certainly not to photography. That is just incredibly well seen and shot. My favorites are #2 and #3, but they are all wonderful. I hope you will be sharing your "secrets" with us. ;-) :lol:

9. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    WElcome...very nice photos.

10. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Completely awesome!!

We want more!!

11. Oh wow, very nice. Welcome.

12. Beautiful work. The communicant shot is novel, but very positive. The traditional view of an adult towards a child's first communion is usually sentimental and over dramatic. A child's view is one of excitement...more accurate I would think. You did a very nice job.

Gland to meet you.

Rich

13. Thanks guys - I appreciate all the compliments and the feedback.

I think one of the biggest advantages of shooting portraits is using the NEF raw format. I'm curious to see how many people use JPG vs. NEF here and the reasons why.

Shooting in raw not only provides a safety blanket for shooting work for a client, but it also allows me to change my mind about certain aspects of a photograph.

For example, when shooting a wedding, I keep my contrast on Normal. I tried it on Low, but found that I had to add contrast to just about every image. It's easier to apply the low contrast setting to the raw file as I did in the first shot (D2x, bride & groom.) I exposed for the highlights, set the contrast to low, pulled in the blacks a bit with levels, and, (here's the secret for harsh sunlight,) used a "smidge" of D-Lighting. I'll get a few settings for you all to try, if there is interest. Not allot, just enough to see more of the beautiful shadow areas the D2x NEF can render. The result is an image with very contrasty blacks but less contrasty highlights and midtones.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. D-Lighting - a Smidge

Sorry - I meant to reply with this info a few days ago.

I have two base settings saved for Nikon Capture's D-Lighting to give subtle effects.

The first one, is best applied to high contrast images. This is a quick and dirty one to help slightly brighten the shadow areas. Set Tone Comp to Low Contrast (Advanced RAW dialogue)

D-Lighting - High contrast Fix 1
    Method: Faster
    Adjustment: 34
    Color Boost: 6

The second one is a better quality version of the previous. This is great for harsher lighting situations where you may have "raccoon eye" shadows. Same rules apply, Set Tone Comp to Low Contrast (Advanced RAW dialogue)

D-Lighting - High contrast Fix 2
    Method: Better Quality
    Shadow Adjustment: 26
    Highlight Adjustment: 1
    Color Boost: 60

Give them a try and let me know what you think.

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

17. Beautiful work! Bravo!

18. Stunning pics!!! More!

19. Wonderful images Joe. You have inspired me to do better and that is what its all about. Thanks