New Hard Drive Question...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Donzo98, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I want to add a new internal hard drive to my G5 for photos.

Any suggestions?

Don

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    If you're adding this as a secondary drive to your current system, just make sure you set the jumper on the back of your new drive to either "Slave" or "CS" (for Cable Select). Then just plug in the appropriate cables and mount it. The system should be able to detect and should be ready for use.

If that doesn't work you might have to make move your jumper setting on your current drive to "Master" and keep the above settings.

3. Donald D

Donald D

Aug 19, 2006
    I have not replaced a drive in my Quad G5 in a while, but I do know that it uses SATA based drives. I prefer the 750GB seagates. I think ALL G5 powermacs have SATA. There is no slave/master switch. You just purchase a drive and plug it in. There should be two bays (only 1 being available).

4. I just picked up a sata Seagate on sale a while back. It has worked flawlessly.

5. All powermac G5's use SATA drives, so no worries about "master", "slaves" or jumper settings.

Newegg.com has the best prices in hard drives. Seagate is one I highly recommend.

6. Don,

I concur with Seagate being a leading brand for you. Seagate bought Maxtor not too long ago so they are essentially becoming the same, now.

Regards,

Paul

7. I just got a 500GB Seagate SATA for my Power Mac G5 from frys.com. I noticed that they put out specials around Thursday and lasts till Saturday Night.

You may want to check it out.

Mike

8. Just bought 3 more 500 GB Seagate 7200.10s for my machines. $129 each! Amazing how cheap they are getting to be.

So far as Newegg goes, I was once told to never buy drives from them. Reason being the return rate a certain drive manufacturer was seeing - caused by mishandling I suppose. I ordered from them once anyway with no problem.

However we have a decent enough computer parts place here in Norcal, so I buy from them.

9. There is a jumper on many drives sometimes installed by default that limits the drive to SATA 1 mode.... Remove it if you want to enable it as a SATA 2 drive.

10. My G5's original 80 GB drive is now my 'back up photo drive' and my new Seagate 320GB SATA drive is my primary drive. The install went flawlessly with out need for any jumper settings. I did back up my original 80 GB drive to an external drive before I tried this and I ran disk warrior and disk first aid on all drives before doing this. I realize you are going to be adding a slave drive so you shouldn't have any problems, it really is plug and play.