New hard drives

I just installed new hard drives on my wife's computer and my daughters computer with no problems what so ever.

Naturally when I installed a new hard drive on my machine I encounter problems. After a day of messing around I finally got the new HD and all data transferred.

Here is my current problem. I had 2 HDs in the computer and have updated both. Drives are C, D, E and F. What has happend some drives becamed renamed. Naturally programs don't work because properties point to the wrong drive. Now I am almost positve there is something in XP Pro that allows me swap drive designation. I thought I have done it before but I can't remember how I did it.

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Russ

Russ

Go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

In that window look for "Disk Management" in the left tree view. Under Storage.

This will display your drives and the partitions on them. You can right click on a volume and change its drive letter, etc.

You can control which drives have pagefiles on them from Settings -> Control Panel -> System, then the Advanced Tab.

Click the Settings button under Performance, at the top.

In the Performance Options window go to the Advanced tab. Near the bottom you will see the Virtual Memory section. Click on the Change button and you will finally (argh so many steps) be at the window that edits that.

Always such a pain to find these things. And it isn't really any better in the operating system I work on (OS X).

Beezle

After I replied I figured out what I needed to do. Made the change and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for your help. I new I had changed the drives once before but it is something you don't do all the time. Forgot where it was.

My 300GB has is a vast improvement over what I had.

My next step will be to build a new computer. Probably at the end of the year. :biggrin:

Installing a new drive with the new utilities is a vast improvement over using MSDOS and FDISK.

Russ

Latest threads

Top Bottom