New Hat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I need one of these. I once got harrassed by the local police department for taking pictures at a small airport here in the suburbs of Atlanta. They said that due to the possibility of terrorists taking pictures of planes to plan an attack they didn't allow photography of the planes taking off and landing at the airport.

I caught this guy wearing this hat at a festival in Suwanee, GA here recently. I got a good chuckle from it.

[​IMG]

2. HaHa

That's great! Hope it doesn't become required equipment. No hassles from authorities yet but I did get a woman pretty wound up last week shooting candids. She got ignorant and started name calling straight away so I told she was in a public place and too bad so sad......Most people (99%) are good with their pictures and if someone objects I'll gladly delete the image. Still I enjoy a good fight when one comes up........ :biggrin:

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

go into petsmart(pet store)the managers in those places come running up to you saying stop stop.(i was photograghing the birds.)after machine gunning 10-12 pics i said why.she said why are you taking pictures in here.on and on .rediculous.i said i was with PETA.IM DOING AN EX[POSE!SHE JUST LOOKED WIDE EYED AND STUPID.DA HUH "WHATS THAT" NUFF SAID!

4. You have to be very careful.

I own a t-shirt that has a similar message on it. Mine reads, "Street Photographer, Not a Terrorist." I bought it a couple of years ago from another photographer here in Texas who was trying to make some extra money with his line of shirts. I used to wear it whenever I was out street shooting. I was stopped a couple of times by cops who were just curious and wanted to know about the shirt. Once, in downtown Fort Worth, a cop stopped me and he thought the shirt was hilarious, and he was a sutterbug as well. I talked shop with him for about 30 minutes.

Then, there was an incident in downtown Dallas when I was stopped by a cop simply because he did not like my shirt. To make a very long story short, it wound up being an ordeal that involved 6 police officers, several squad cars, I was detained and questioned for about 30 minutes, etc.... I filed a formal complaint, letters were written to the mayor's office and several city councilmen's office, and so on- all this not because I was doing anything wrong, but because an officer did not like my shirt.

That shirt has since been retired. It now serves as my work shirt whenever I work around the house or mow the yard, or whatever.:biggrin:

We live in strange times, my friends.

5. I would think the folks at PetSmart are well within their rights to request no photography inside the store. It is private property. There are many retail stores and establishments that have a no photography policy. Believe it or not, a lot of it has to do with copyright infringement and industrial spying. As crazy as that sounds, that is why a lot of stores simply have a blanket policy against photography.

6. Hayden

Hayden Guest

Yeah I had a shop tell me yesterday that I could only photograph in one portion of the store and I realized quickly that it was because the part that I couldn't photograph had clear copyright infringement issues (costume shop copies of distinct characters, etc...)

But Rick --- where in Dallas are you from?

7. Actually, I am now living in Granbury, a small town which is about 30 miles SW of Fort Worth. But for many years I lived in the Old East Dallas area around Lakewood. Off Gaston Ave.